Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problem with mid-arm quilting machine >

Problem with mid-arm quilting machine

Problem with mid-arm quilting machine

Old 07-29-2011, 10:58 AM

I have a Brother Nouvelle 1500 that I'm using on a quilt frame. No matter what needle, batting and thread I use, the thread continues to shred every 12 inches or so. I'm ready to throw it out the window!! Anyone have any suggestions???
Old 07-29-2011, 11:00 AM
Banned

When you say no matter what size needle, did you try an 18. I had same problem using Juki on a frame then company I bought from asked was I using an 18 needle. Kinda hard to find but he sent one and it worked fine. No more shredding. I've used 16 also with good results.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:05 AM

18 is a BIG needle. The machine should work if the needle is appropriate to the thread size. Is there maybe a burr somewhere? Or a hang up in the thread? That's a good machine model, there's surely an explanation.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:07 AM

Thanks, Vicky. I'll give that a try!
Old 07-29-2011, 11:09 AM

I'm using 35 or 40 wt thread with a denim needle. I keep looking for a solution but so far, no luck. Thanks for your input!
If I take it out of the frame, it sews like a dream. When I put it back and try to quilt with it, it becomes a nightmare!
Old 07-29-2011, 11:14 AM

Hi Deb - I had the same annoying problem with my system, I tried everything and it stressed be out to no end. I was convinced the thread I had was ALL bad, then I felt like I'd been taken advantage of by a little old lady who I bought the system from. I felt exactly the same way you are feeling right now. One thing I NEVER considered would be a real issue was how I loaded my backing on the roller. I used to roll it under, after watching and listening to others I noticed many loaded their backings so it wound OVER the roller. Guess what??? I have not had thread breakage since! Crazy I know. But Im a much happier camper now. Good luck, maybe if you can...take pictures of how you have it loaded, threaded etc... SUE
Old 07-29-2011, 11:21 AM

When I put my backing on the roller, I turn the roll toward me. So when it comes off the roll, it's coming from underneath. Is that what you do now or have I misunderstood?
Old 07-29-2011, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Deb Erwin
When I put my backing on the roller, I turn the roll toward me. So when it comes off the roll, it's coming from underneath. Is that what you do now or have I misunderstood?
When mine comes off the roller, it rolls over the top, not underneath.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:39 AM

That's opposite from my machine instructions but I'll try anything at this point! Thanks for your help!
Old 07-29-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Deb Erwin
That's opposite from my machine instructions but I'll try anything at this point! Thanks for your help!
Thats how I was. Got to be a game after a while and I was the loser until I did this. Good luck, keep me posted. Also, make sure your back is rolled rather snug.