Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problem quilt! >

Problem quilt!

Problem quilt!

Old 08-10-2014, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
She said "brand name" - - - - -
There are a lot of brand name pre cuts. She didn't say which one. I had a size issue with Hoffman Bali Pops and don't mind saying it. Hoffman even agreed they had a problem with the cutting and have since improved.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:22 AM

I only buy precuts from Missouri Star Quilt Company (thanks Jenny!), and they have always been the correct size. But can see where others might be off just a little at times. Takes just a few seconds to put one down on your cutting mat to see the correct size. Sorry you have had so much trouble. :-(
Old 08-11-2014, 06:02 AM

I had the same problem with Hoffman bali strips a year ago, some were 2.5 some were 2.25 and a few 2 l/8th ..all in the same roll of strips! And of course, I sewed all the strips and started to cut and sew four patches....big mistake.
Then I found that I couldn't finish the quilt since I had cut the two patch/four patch squares....I contacted Hoffman.
They not only sent me more jelly rolls that were perfect, they sent me fabric for my backing 8.4 yards of their beautiful batiks....they also informed me that they no longer use "hand cut"..even though it was electric cutters, it was the person cutting.... Hoffman now uses only laser cutting of the precuts. With that said, it ruined my quilt vacation since I didn't have the fabric to continue my piecing and I was out of town where there are no quilt shops.
What a disappointment all the way around. I ignore precut specials...and wonder if they are discounted because they are the hand cut rather than laser cut.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:31 PM
Power Poster

I feel for you. And, that is exactly why I strip piece the sashing most of the time or cut a bit longer and trim. It really saves on the fustration and unsewing.
peace
Old 08-12-2014, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

I feel your pain, sometimes in quilting we take one step forward and 3 or 4 back. As tempted as I've been to buy precuts, your problem is one that I'd like to avoid. I sure wish that the manufacturers would standardize their cutting machines so that 5"is really 5" all across the board.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:37 AM

I feel your pain. I have encountered this problem the one time I bought a jelly roll -- if they were the same size at one time they weren't by the time I got them. I got some charms as a gift, not sure what I will do with them. I don't want the frustration so I will probably give them away -- but not to church since I will probably wind up working with them anyway.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
I only buy precuts from Missouri Star Quilt Company (thanks Jenny!), and they have always been the correct size. But can see where others might be off just a little at times. Takes just a few seconds to put one down on your cutting mat to see the correct size. Sorry you have had so much trouble. :-(
I bought 2 layer cakes from MSQC and had to trim both packs down to 9 3/4, I was surprised but glad I checked them before sewing.