Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problem Sandwiching Quilt?  I think I have an answer! >

Problem Sandwiching Quilt? I think I have an answer!

Problem Sandwiching Quilt? I think I have an answer!

Old 04-04-2017, 08:03 PM

Default Problem Sandwiching Quilt? I think I have an answer!

I am a "rank amateur" when it comes to quilting, but I've gotten well acquainted with the term "sandwiching the quilt." It has really been a thorn in my back for the past 2-3 years. I had almost come to the conclusion that I would have to stop quilting simply because I cannot bend over my bed, or my dining room table from a standing position, and i cannot stand for lengthy periods of time (more than 30 minutes). Then, I remembered that back in around 2002 or 2003, my husband had purchased a kit for a Hinterberg frame (at that time constructed for a maximum twin-size quilt. I did my first baby quilt on that frame. Now thatI'm making larger quilts, sandwiching the quilt has been a real problem due to my back problem. Sandwiching a quilt (about half a quilt, really) puts me in bed for two days. I can't afford to send them out for sandwiching and quilting. A couple of days ago, I remembered that this frame was expandable and that would be a wonderful way to sandwich my quilts. So, yes, it is expandable, and my son is in the process of doing the expansion. The advantages are many, but two of them are: 1) I can sit down to do the basting/pin pasting (I can't use the sprays due to asthma), and I'm not able to crawl around on the floor for this task, and 2) I won't be bending over. So, I won't have to stop making quilts! I am ecstatic about that - the creative process is very fulfilling! I'm making new leaders for the expanded size of the frame, so I think this is going to work for me. Even though I'll be quilting the quilts on my 201, this solves the major problem. Any ideas, suggestions?
Old 04-04-2017, 08:25 PM

Congratulations on remembering the frame and finding a solution to your sandwiching problem. I can't bend over either or crawl on the floor. My solution is my quilting daughter doing it for me. Thank you, Tammy.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:37 PM

yes, I have a suggestion that works for me, because I have the same problems and no H Frame to hope for. This is hard to explain so I am going to route you to two you-tubes so you can see for your self. The basic technique is to roll your quilt top, on one long board (I use a floor board), and roll the backing on another floor board, lay both boards on the dining room table and sit down. Unroll the boards about 18" at a time and baste your sandwich while you sit and reach comfortably. I do King size quilts this way. http://colormequilty.blogspot.com/20...d-basting.html

I have always hand basted my quilts, or pin basted.....but it is time to get with the 21st century and elmer glue baste the parts together for the sake of our hands and backs. http://sarasquiltingcorner.blogspot....-tutorial.html

So watch/read these tutorials or you-tubes. (there are many more examples on the internet) and just try this on a small quilt to get the hang of it...you will never turn back.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:42 PM

So glad you found a solution to your problem. Too bad there's not a way for you to use spray baste, because they really save a lot of time and fingers.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:09 AM

It sounds like the frame will work great for you.

I am a user of the board method. It works best if you cover the boards with flannel though. The fabric doesn't slip as it would on plain boards. It's a great option for me because I have back issues and also a lack of space to spread out the quilt for sandwiching.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:02 AM

Sandwiching is the worst part of quilting to me too. That's where all my quit tops stop for a while. Till I get so many piled up I have to sandwich. Hope your frame works for you, it sounds like a good idea.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:26 AM

I also thought I would have to stop quilting because of the sandwiching being so difficult. Not only was the reaching and bending a problem, but my fingers can't work safety pins, and everyone said thread basting isn't strong enough for machine quilting. Then I discovered the Sharon Schamber board method, and her herringbone stitching with tatting thread. It really holds, and no bending and reaching. So thankful.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

I'm glad you found a solution. After trying many things I am sticking with (ha, just realized) Elmer's Washable School Glue for basting the sandwich. Inexpensive, easy, quick, no fumes. Quilt isn't as heavy as pin basted.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:47 AM
DJ

How wonderful to have a solution to your problem. I hope it works as expected. If not, perhaps you could work some kind of exchange of labor with someone who would be able to sandwich your quilts for you ... some people hate to do binding ... or perhaps you could change to a quilt-as-you-go process to avoid having to sandwich a large quilt.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

I use to baste on a Grace Ez quilt frame. Then I discovered the glue and spray basting. I can sandwich a king size quilt in about 20 min.