Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problem with Superior Thread and FMQ >

Problem with Superior Thread and FMQ

Problem with Superior Thread and FMQ

Old 05-07-2013, 02:40 AM

Default Problem with Superior Thread and FMQ

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if any of you lovely people could throw in some advice for me. I bought some Isacord and Superior thread for FMQ. I have never had a problem witht he Guterman on my Horizon 7700,the Isacord was OK, but the Superir masterpiece thread as advertised by Alex Anderson is very difficult for FMQ to say the least.

At this stage I dont know whether its my 2 year old 7700 or the thread or the tension or what!
I thought it was the tension initially- had it set to Auto and DIS stitch..it was making eyelashes on the back which is a very rare occurance for me these days (the machine is great!! )
So I fiddled around with the tension and get an acceptable front and back stitch at 6. However all the while it seems like the motion of the needle or bobbin makes this horrible grindy noise in time to the needle going up and down. And the thread seems tight as you stitch. I dont know how else to describe it. it really feels uncomfortable.

When I stitch in the ditch with this thread its perfect, and no obvious problems that I can see. I am doing the same speed of sewing-reasonably medium as I do with the Gutterman and Isacord.
I just dont understand it. So what do you all think? Does my machine not like the thread or do you think that a service would help things along? Or do some individual machines not like certain threads? ( I have read that some do) I still dont understand though how come the Superior thread is fine with straight stitch- actually it doesnt grip the fabric like the Gutterman does on SITD, its nice and smooth.

I would be so grateful for any help as I love the feel of the Superior but am getting really frustrated with my FMQ at present!!!
Old 05-07-2013, 02:48 AM

Try a different needle size . Contact Superior thread and ask them. They should be able to help you.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:57 AM

WHICH Superior thread are you using? Different threads require different size needles. Their website is loaded with info and charts on their threads.

http://www.superiorthreads.com/reference-guides/

Good luck!

Nan - IN
Old 05-07-2013, 03:12 AM
Power Poster

with the sounds of your description of problem (bobbin - grinding noise...) my thought is something is going on with your machine...time for a good cleaning? rethread, re-wind bobbin,new (correct type-size) needle; try again...
superior threads have great customer service and trouble-shooting help= if the problem continues contact them- they will help you trouble shoot the problem.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

Masterpiece is designed for piecing. Here are the details for Masterpiece thread:

Home Machine: #80/12 Topstitch. 2-ply- Set upper tension to 2.0. (3-ply should be fine without tension adjustments)

http://www.superiorthreads.com/produ...d/masterpiece/
Old 05-07-2013, 04:51 AM

Thanks Quiltinghere..I have just looked on Superior thread site, your link was really helpful. Bellaboo-It is interesting regarding the Masterpiece thread being only for piecing. Is there a Superior thread you would recommend for FMQ?
The only one I heard being recommended was by Leah Day who uses Isacord. I think it is sold as an embroidery thread though.
I have only started to use different threads now for FMQ as I was only using Gutterman before
Old 05-07-2013, 05:49 AM

I just looked at the link..Bellaboo kindly sent. it says as well as piecing, that it is Ok for detail quilting. is that FMQ or is it a different method? I am sorry, I probably sound stupid, but just dont knowwhat it means lol
Old 05-07-2013, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by SuperiorThreads View Post
@Irishphoenix, MasterPiece is designed to be a piecing thread, (we called it master'PIECE' to have a fun play on words) but the 3-ply version can be used for FMQ. If you look at your spool of thread, it will have #50/2 or #50/3 printed on the spool. We changed MasterPiece to a 3-ply thread over a year ago to add strength when FMQ. We have many lines of excellent FMQ threads available in Cotton, Polyester, & Silk! We've developed a great guide called 'Thread Selection Guide' which will identify which line of thread you want to use for which purpose.
http://www.superiorthreads.com/media...tion_Guide.pdf

When we are stitching with MasterPiece at home, I set my top tension to be around 3.0~3.5. I rarely go as high as 5 on any of our threads. I override my automatic tension as well. This allows me so much more room to play with the threads. We also recommend using our Topstitch #80/12 needle with MasterPiece.
Here's a video clip from 'Thread Therapy' in which Bob Purcell (President of Superior) talks about tension adjustments.
http://www.superiorthreads.com/video...ewing-success/

Please send us an email if we can help you any further. [email protected]
Hi Superior Threads,
First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time and trouble to reply to me about your lovely thread. As I said before, its is amazing for piecing.(oh yes, now I get the connection Master-Piece.lol)
The first think I noticed about it was its feel as soon as I took some off the spool,it has a lovely quality to it and I took your advice and looked at some of your videos, which are really detailed.
I am using the 50/3 thread. We dont have direct suppliers here in Ireland to the best of my knowledge ( I can buy Guttermanonly, locally)so I have started to buy my thread mail order from the UK..anyway I looked at the video and see that I have been putting the spool on the horizontal spindle instead of putting it upright,so along with altering the tension this could fix things.
I learned a lot from Bob Purcells videos and have used the Polyester Triobal with no problems whatsoever for FMQ.
I will try these adjustments and thanks forall your helpful links. Thanks again for your email link.
Lois
Old 05-07-2013, 02:12 PM

WOW a manufacturer representative is among us! Awesome!

LOVE the Omni Thread for longarming! Use it all the time.

Nan - IN
Old 05-07-2013, 03:08 PM
Power Poster

I trust Superior company. I buy all my sewing machine needles there and the silk thread is the best I've used at the best price. If you haven't machine quilted with silk you are missing out on a pleasure.