Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problems With Free Patterns >

Problems With Free Patterns

Problems With Free Patterns

Old 06-17-2015, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

I look all over the internet for the same pattern, then compare. Try to stick with patterns that have instructions for the different sizes. Like Jinny Beyer has pattern for Hunter's star in 3 different sizes. that is what I look for. the videos are great because I can review and take notes. I do that often with Jenny Doan videos.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:06 AM

Not only have I found mistakes in free patterns but also in patterns I paid for. Bought a purse pattern at a quilt show a few years ago and found numerous errors in it. I emailed the designer of the pattern asking for clarification and never got a response. I will NEVER buy one of her patterns again. Anyone can make a mistake, but to ignore a plea for help in inexcusable.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:03 AM

I agree with your first response. Go back to the website and see if you are supposed to increase the size before printing. Sometimes things can really be aggravating. Hope you can solve the problem
Old 06-17-2015, 10:25 AM

The only time I had a problem with a free printed pattern I failed to add the 1/4 inch. It did not say to do that but when I did and made another block it worked out. I always keep scraps to try a new pattern before I cut into my fabric I have for the quilt.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:38 AM

Could it be that the pattern did not allow for the seam allowances?
Old 06-17-2015, 05:10 PM

I think the pattern designer would like to know if they made a mistake so I think I would contact them if there is a way to. Also she may have meant to say a 7 1/2" block instead of a 101/2". Either way there is a mistake somewhere. I haven't ran into that problem yet but I think I would contact her. ( or him) Good luck with whatever you do
Old 06-18-2015, 07:42 AM

Make sure you printer is on actual size not print to page. I have made this mistake several times
Old 06-18-2015, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Ps 150 View Post
Perhaps it shouldn't bother me, considering they're free patterns, but it does. I just paper pieced a block that was a free pattern, but the pattern stated that it was for a 10.5" block, and I got a 7.5" block.
10.5" square paper pieced block won't print in full on a standard sheet of copy paper, I'm guessing there was a second page to print and then tape to the first.
Is the block cute at the current size?