Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Professional Tote....tips? >

Professional Tote....tips?

Professional Tote....tips?

Old 10-22-2014, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Is this the tote you are talking about?
http://thecreativethimble.com/shop/p...-tote/#reviews

I've never made one as it seems intimidating; however, if an 11yo can do it maybe I can too!
Looks fairly simple but time consuming. But that's from a gal who made up her own back pack patterns.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by IreneJ View Post
If I use the soft and stable, would I have to quilt it to the pieces since its not fusible?
Irene
Irene, i quilt. I stitch about 1/8" around the piece with the fabric and S&S stacked together
Old 09-12-2015, 02:30 PM

Well, it has been a year since I posted this thread. I finally have started on the tote. First, the tips were spot on! Thank you! They really helped! I consider myself a confident purse maker and I knew that the Professional tote would certainly stretch my abilities . It has not dissapointed! I just finished the outside of the purse and I am sure that the rest is going to fall into place quickly and quicker. Whew!!!

Musings so far. Hints from "Nammie to 7 " were spot on!! As were others.
yes, get the Wonder Clips! Much easier to use vs trying to pin through thicknesses.
Use a walking foot! Needed for sewing thickness.
Use a Teflon foot if using faux leather! I used faux leather for the straps and the bottom of the purse. Worked great!
Use a jean needle. For thickness.
my Janome 9900 really handles sewing through thickness beautifully. Pretty sure that I would not tackle this pattern using my smaller Janome 3050. The sewing bed is too small imho. At one step I sewed through 2 layers of Soft & Stable, 2 layers of fabric AND 6 layers of the faux leather!! (Straps). I just went slow and used my walking foot. No problem! Whew! So proud of that machine!

Take your time, read and read again each step. Excellent instructions!

I hope to finish this in the next week or so. Time permitting!

Sandy

Last edited by Sandygirl; 09-12-2015 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:41 AM

Just watch your directional prints so every thing comes out right side up. Read the instructions through first, then do each step in order. I have made over 60 of the PT and the Mini PT. Be careful, they are addictive! I have also taught many classes for these. I have an 80 year old student right now with very little sewing experience and she is getting hers done, slowly but she is OCD about everything being just perfect. She has been fun to teach! Everytime I explain something to her and she finally "gets it" you can see the light go on in her eyes!
Attached Thumbnails 20140414_093455.jpg   batik-pt.jpg   20140617_103634.jpg   kathys-mini-pt.jpg   img_20131015_112244_290.jpg  

pts.jpg  
Old 09-13-2015, 04:14 AM

Sandy...Nammie is absolutely right as well as the other hints. I purchased my pattern in 2003 and just this summer got brave enough to make. I read the pattern a couple times before starting, I made the bag all on my own!!! So impressed with myself I am now making three for Xmas gifts. i also contacted Laura the pattern designer and she emailed me the updated instructions, my pattern was so old...lol

i went to the AQS show in Syracuse....Laura signed my old pattern! Lol I am so impressed with her pattern writing, I have bought several more patterns of hers, her style of writing just works for me.

all who have not tried yet.....please do!!!! Sounds like if you got into trouble there are several here who would help!!!

P.S. I use Pellon 987F fusible fleece, and although my designer SE will sew through the thickness... I use my mega quilter to sew thicker seams together. I also use 1" 1/4"webbing and cover them with accent fabric, this methods creates a nice comfortable stable strap.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:44 AM

Nammie to 7--your granddaughter is adorable and she looks so proud of her achievements. Congratulations to her. The tote is beautiful. Would you mind sharing the name of the pattern and designer? This sounds like a good challenge I would like to attempt (after I get done making Halloween costumes for grandchildren)! Thanks for all of the great tips too on the construction of this tote. You can PM me if you like.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by linda8450 View Post
Don't take the labels off the pieces until you are ready for them! I cut out multiples, thinking I was going to assembly line sew them, and it was a bit confusing. Made 4, was not happy with the soft bottom so I added a thin piece of plastic. Better for me. Top stitching through all the layers was tricky for me at the top, the machine got in the way, but it is doable. Using 3 colors worked best for me. 4 and 5 got too tricky (never sure which color was going to be on which pocket and there are alot of pockets). If you are selling them, charge what they are worth! A lady in our guild charges $75 to make them, you supply the fabric!
After making mine (i will post a photo soon!) I would charge $250! My brain hurts! BUT... The next one will go quicker having gotten through the first one....IF there is a next one! My Janet bag by Totes by Sandy is similar and much quicker. I have made 5-6 of those. No zippers...which I dont mind working with.

Sandy ( no relation to Totes by Sandy)
Old 09-21-2015, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Nammie to 7--your granddaughter is adorable and she looks so proud of her achievements. Congratulations to her. The tote is beautiful. Would you mind sharing the name of the pattern and designer? This sounds like a good challenge I would like to attempt (after I get done making Halloween costumes for grandchildren)! Thanks for all of the great tips too on the construction of this tote. You can PM me if you like.
hint: it is in the title of this thread I started.

Sandy