Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which project comes next? >

Which project comes next?

Which project comes next?

Old 07-06-2013, 08:05 AM

Default Which project comes next?

How do you decide what to do next, when you have a bunch of projects in your head, and in your stash but none have a deadline?

i have so many quilts i could do right now that i have a spreadsheet but none has a deadline so i haven't been doing them? i have just been doing block swaps, and doll quilts and watching too much tv.

ideas?
Old 07-06-2013, 08:08 AM

I do whatever makes me happy at the time, Live life to the fullest
Old 07-06-2013, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

I have a WIP for the oldest GD who didn't know about it (was going to be a surprise). Backfire she surprised me with a request from a photo she sent of a scene on a video! I have no idea what it's from but 2 little girls sitting on a cushion on top of some very elaborate carpet with a violin in the background and birds in windows. Her sister is suppose to be sending a request also. Luckily the younger DGDs just want their favorite colors. The video scene involves a lot of applique! Oh Well!
Old 07-06-2013, 09:09 AM

Pick out a friend or family member who needs a special hug, or is having a birthday soon, and pick out one of your UFO's that you think that person would like, and make yourself a deadline. OR - commit to entering it in your local county fair or quilt show, if anything like that is coming up in the near future. OR find a friend who also quilts and challenge them to finish something with you.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:42 AM

Just when I have my mind made up for a quilt, someone comes up with a request for something they want me to make for them so that is the one I make. I guess that is one reason for my big stash.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:03 AM

Many fun opportunities here!

* Print out your spread sheet, cut apart so each project is on 1 piece of paper, fold pieces and put them in a bowl or some other pretty container. Draw out 1 piece of paper and make that project.

* Start with the UFO that has your favorite color in it.

* Start with the oldest.

* Start with the newest.

* Start with the smallest.

* Start with the biggest.

* Start with the one that is almost done.

* Go by seasons. Is there a summer quilt to finish and use before the end of summer? Is there a quilt to finish before the beginning of autumn so that it could be used during the whole season? Is there a Holiday table topper you would like done so you could use it during the Holiday season.

* Pull out several of your favorites and set them on a table. While you have your eyes closed, have someone else mix them up and you pick one to work on now.

* Start with one using a technique you have never used before.

* Start with one using a color you don't care for or have never used before.

* Have a friend pick one out for you.

I think sometimes we have to play little games with ourselves to keep us going. I tell myself - Karen - do something! - you're wasting daylight!

Have fun with this! Once you get started on a project, you will feel a sense of accomplishment and that will pull you through to the next project.

Last edited by KarenK; 07-06-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:16 PM
Power Poster

KarenK....you are funny.....love your ideas.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Power Poster

I guess just pick one and start.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:41 PM
Power Poster

I just finished a top that was a BOM, a twin-size quilt for DGS, and still have two more twin-size quilts to finish. BUT I'm going to do a wall hanging next that is just for pure fun. I'm afraid of burn out and I don't want these twin-size quilts to become a chore.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:01 PM

i love all of your ideas. i will have to look my projects tomorrow while i am moving them to a new shelf and see which one strikes my fancy. if that doesnt work i will try Karen's ideas. i have one that i want to practice quilting on but i am waiting for my machine back from its tune up. i am using my daughter's janome magnolia and its driving me a bit bonkers