Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pros & Cons of floating a top! >

Pros & Cons of floating a top!

Pros & Cons of floating a top!

Old 12-25-2014, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Does this technique only apply to long arm quilting?
Some traditional West Virginia hand quilters used the same method. Making quilts never died away in the mountains as it did in many other places.

Newly married in the 1970's and new in our small town, an old-time quilter invited me to her home to show me how she 'put in' ( the frame) a quilt. She didn't have a name for it but the backing was basted to the two bars of her traditional frame with one end rolled all the way and rag strips stretching the sides. She then laid on the batt and the top, pinning the area between the bars--the section to be quilted. The remaining batt and top were rolled loosly at the far side. She quilted within her reach, unpinned the side rags and rolled under the finished section; she repined the sides, smoothed on the next section of batt and top, pin basted and the next part was ready to quilt.

This was a revelation--my grandmothers (quilters by necessity) had stopped piecing and quilting before I was born and had passed on before I discovered quilts so their tutelage was lost. Another dear old mountain top quilter had given me her old home-made frames but since I had learned quilting from books and had very little space I quailed at "basting the sandwich". After Miss Dollie's cute I put in and finished my first hand quilted project.

Miss Dollie's quilts were beautifully hand quilted. After my lesson she gave me a tour to see some of her quilts, lovingly displayed in little wallpapered, eaved bedrooms.

Last edited by Greenheron; 12-25-2014 at 07:00 AM.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:32 AM

I don't understand floating a top when using a domestic machine.I'm a LA'er.I pin the backing to my frame then baste the batt to the backing with a straight line.This straight line is necessary to keep everything straight during the quilting.I baste the sides as I do the quilting and the quilt is rolled.I use a pink centering tape and keep the sides straight as the quilting happens.As I get to the bottom I make sure it straight with the rest of the quilt.And continue to quilt until it is finished.How is all of this done off the frame?I can't see how this can be done off frame.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:45 AM

I have one of these but have a major problem with it. Every time I start to roll (advance) the quilt, the pink markers slip and end up being more troublesome than helpful. Any tips for that?
Old 12-25-2014, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by sherryl1 View Post
I don't understand floating a top when using a domestic machine..How is all of this done off the frame?
It's not. Floating can only be done if you're quilting on a frame. Some people have midarms (DSMs with 9" or larger throat) on a frame, and in that setup you can float a top. But it's the frame that enables the floating.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:14 PM

"After my lesson she gave me a tour to see some of her quilts, lovingly displayed in little wallpapered, eaved bedrooms."

Greenheron, that's a beautiful story that you shared. You really painted a picture in my mind. :-)
Old 12-25-2014, 05:33 PM

Might work - if you try it, let me know how it goes.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:19 PM
Banned

I float all my tops too. I only loaded one quilt top onto the leaders, and it was totally wonky. Fortunately it was one of my own .

If a quilt top isn't square (and most aren't), and then you pin it to the leaders, it's going to quilt crooked. But if you float it, you can ease it in where needed to make it square.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:05 PM

I have Red Snappers and I LOVE THEM. I hated pinning and was ready to give up my long arm before I found them.