Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pros and Cons of a Rotary Fabric Strip Cutter >

Pros and Cons of a Rotary Fabric Strip Cutter

Pros and Cons of a Rotary Fabric Strip Cutter

Old 08-06-2012, 07:49 AM

Default Pros and Cons of a Rotary Fabric Strip Cutter

I love the concept and principle of this ...so my question is does it work.....
"FISKARS 45MM ROTARY FABRIC STRIP CUTTER"
I make an awlful lot of charity strip quilts and this would sure save me some time
and of course would allow me to make my own Jellyrolls.....

The one review I read, said it worked great .....however....that is only one opinion....
Sooooooo how many of you have it, use it, like it.............
Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg  
Old 08-06-2012, 08:01 AM

Hi, I've never used it but did see the post from another member who bought it and planned to return it. I think I saw your avatar in the post as well.

Personally...since it only cuts a length of 12", I think a June Tailor Shape Cut Plus would be a better choice. It will still cut strips, but the fabric would be flat on the table as opposed to this item, where it appears that the fabric must be raised up onto the base.

JMHO.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

I have not used one but the concept seems fine. It looks like you have to pre-cut your fabric into 12 widths in order to fit it in the machine? If that is the case, I think I could do it faster by folding the width of the fabric on my board. You would get a full 40-45 inch strip instead of 12 inch sections. I also wonder once you cut a strip, how do you advance the fabric? I think you would have to starch it pretty stiff to be able to push it through? Maybe someone who has used it will post how they like it.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:36 PM

I have one that I got at Joanns about a year ago with a coupon and I must say it has made my life easier I just cannot cut with a regular rotary cutter I fold my fabric and cut through all the layers at one time. If you fold carefully it comes out right. I also use it to cut squares and they also come out great. It works exactly like a scrapbook paper cutter. In fact you may want to look in paper cutting supplies and buy a regular rotery paper cutter and devote it to cutting fabricassome of them have a bigger cutting area , For me it works easier that the shape cutter ruler
Old 08-06-2012, 04:43 PM

I bought one and did not like it and took it back for my money, I bought a difterent kind but do not know or rember where I ordered it from.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:54 PM

I've had one for several years now. i do like it, but like a reg. rotary cutter your success will depend on how carefully you fold the fabric.