Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Protecting white fabric >

Protecting white fabric

Protecting white fabric

Old 06-15-2015, 01:46 AM

Default Protecting white fabric

I've never made a quilt using white and strong colours but my next quilt for my grandson is going to be made with squares of different shades of blue and squares of white. Now I have prewashed all my blues on a warm wash with a couple of colour catchers....is there anything else I should be doing to make sure the blue doesn't bleed the first time the quilt is washed. Going to a little boy I'm guessing this is going to happen frequently! Help please.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:31 AM

Did your colour catchers stay white when you washed it. if yes I suppose it is ok. But I would let it soak many hours anyway and see if the water remains clear!
Old 06-15-2015, 03:08 AM
Power Poster

The best way to be totally safe is to make sure that his mother always uses a color catcher in the wash. Make sure she also washes the quilt in warm colors and light tumble dry in the dryer on very low heat. Many non-quilters do not know how to properly wash a quilt.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:16 AM

I use white frequently in my quilts with lots of other bright and dark fabrics. I always prewash ALL fabrics with color catchers and never had an issue with the white staying white. I think you did all you can do and should be fine!
Old 06-15-2015, 03:51 AM

Thanks everyone. Helou, my catchers came out pale blue so I'm guessing there may still be some bleed left in the fabrics. Good idea ManiacQuilter2, I'll give my daughter a box of colour catchers with the quilt...... Yikes, I thought cutting out all my pieces was going to be scary..ha! This is way scarier for me! Can't wait to run back to my usual, trusty earth colours!!!
Old 06-15-2015, 06:23 AM

You may want to consider using Synthropol prior to cutting. It will remove any excess dye. I have also used dawn dishwashing liquid prior to cutting , a few tablespoons in the cycle can be just as effective as Synthropol
Old 06-15-2015, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
The best way to be totally safe is to make sure that his mother always uses a color catcher in the wash. Make sure she also washes the quilt in warm colors and light tumble dry in the dryer on very low heat. Many non-quilters do not know how to properly wash a quilt.
Just a note, when I gift a quilt I "always" include a box of color catchers and Quilt Care instructions.

Judy in Phx, AZ
Old 06-15-2015, 10:51 AM
Power Poster

I would wash in Synthrapol. If you want to make absolutely sure, after pre-washing everything, I would cut a piece from each fabric and either sew them together or safety pin them together and wash again. This will show you if the white picks up any color from the other fabrics. Some whites will not pick up color; other whites will. It's not only about how much the colors bleed; it's also about how much loose color the light fabrics will pick up.