Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Psychedelic 4 Patch Paisley- Update >

Psychedelic 4 Patch Paisley- Update

Psychedelic 4 Patch Paisley- Update

Old 03-26-2015, 04:10 AM

Default Psychedelic 4 Patch Paisley- Update

Here is the original post about http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...y-t259649.html. Then very sadly, here is the post about the fire http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...e-t261750.html. Now I have an update for you.
She was there yesterday when they were tearing down the house.

Here is her text to me: It was just laying on top of the rubble. I looked so hard for it before and there it was. I was shocked. I had to climb over the basement hole to get it. They put me in the shovel of the backhoe and moved me over so I could get it.

She wants me to recycle what can be saved into the new one. I'm thinking more on the lines of a 9 patch wallhanging using 8 of the saved blocks and a pic of the saved quilt in the center.

I'm open to ideas to save as much as possible for her.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]514829[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails after-fire.jpg  
Old 03-26-2015, 04:30 AM
Power Poster

She obviously loves it and can't bear to just throw it out. I would hand stitch net over the exposed areas so I could wash the quilt first to see what can be selvaged. It looks like there may be enough for a wall hanging, bed runner or maybe pillows?
Old 03-26-2015, 04:31 AM
Power Poster

Just amazing, considering how well cotton burns. I really like the idea of a wall hanging. It will be large, however, so make sure she will have a wall to accommodate it in her new home.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:36 AM

She is very lucky to have found the quilt that is so important to her. Years ago I made my sister a quilt and they had a devastating fire she also found that quilt and asked me to try to do something with it although in her heart she knew very little of it was salvageable. It broke my heart but I said I would try, when I was ready to remake the quilt (having bought the same fabric to duplicate it) she asked me about it and said not to do it because it hurt to much, one of these days I'm going to make that quilt again!
Old 03-26-2015, 04:39 AM

How about a lap quilt or pillows?
Old 03-26-2015, 04:45 AM

Such a pretty quilt, I think saving as many as you can would make a wonderful gift, I'm not sure about putting the pic on the front, I would most likely put it with the label..anxious to see what others would do. I personally wouldn't want the constant reminder. My friend had a house fire and all of her quilts were gone,,weird thing...her sewing room wasn't touched by fire or smoke. Cleaners said the had to toss them but they couldn't find them in the dumpsters.

Last edited by Crqltr; 03-26-2015 at 04:47 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:04 AM
dd

I would try to clean it myself and not let the insurance hired cleaning company do it. Friend just went thru this and brand new jeans, never worn, looked like the were 20 yrs old. I like the netting idea. So glad you found it and can reuse parts of it at least.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:56 AM

I have no suggestions, I just wanted to say that is about the most beautiful quilt I have ever seen.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

That is so unbelievable. That it actually survived the fire !! I would do what Tartan mention about securing the quilt and washing it. There is an excellent book that was printed in the mid 90's called Quilt Restoration A Practical Guide by Camille Dalphond Cognac. Excellent reading. She was a very pleasant lady I had met at Quilt Market. She has very clever ideas in her book. I just check and the price for this book is outrageous. This came up in the search and has the option of looking for this book in a library:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...lt_Restoration
Old 03-26-2015, 02:26 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Strong enduring quilts made by strong enduring women! What a treasure!

I'd likely take whichever blocks could be salvaged and frame them to hang side-by-side.

Jan in VA