Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Publishing your own designs? >

Publishing your own designs?

Publishing your own designs?

Old 04-07-2011, 01:44 PM

I know I've asked this before like a couple years ago. The Tsunami quilt variation got me thinking about publishing my designs into quilt patterns. Heck if I know where to start or what I need to know. Advice, suggestions, helpful hints, encouragement---its what I'm looking for on the subject of publishing your own designs into patterns to sell.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:50 PM

There are some books out there about the subject and you might ask at the local quilt guild - sometimes they know people who sell their own designs.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

Maybe find a book at your library? :D:D:D
Old 04-07-2011, 02:00 PM

Check out lulu.com They have options that might fit your needs.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:22 PM

First, if the quilt designs are your own original(s), then you have to make them legal by having a copyright. Go to the website for the U.S. Copyright Office, www.copyright.gov and follow the instructions on the home page web for Visual Arts.

I have included my reference to prevent plagiarism.

REFERENCE:

"Copyright refers to a bundle of exclusive rights, consisting of the right to make copies of the work; the right to distribute copies of the work to the public; the right to display the work to the public; and the right to prepare works based on or derived from the work. You have to pay for the copyright registration of your design and this is the only way to register a copyright in the USA".

Reference obtained April 7, 2011 from
Cox M., copyright 2008,
"Quilter's catalog/A comprehensive resource guide" chap.8, p.516
Old 04-07-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by cctx.
First, if the quilt designs are your own original(s), then you have to make them legal by having a copyright. Go to the website for the U.S. Copyright Office, www.copyright.gov and follow the instructions on the home page web for Visual Arts.

REFERENCE:

"Copyright refers to a bundle of exclusive rights, consisting of the right to make copies of the work; the right to distribute copies of the work to the public; the right to display the work to the public; and the right to prepare works based on or derived from the work. You have to pay for the copyright registration of your design and this is the only way to register a copyright in the USA".

Cox M., copyright 2008,
I think I kind of get it. I've never been the best with things that are a bit technical (or explained to me with video game or Kittie references for that matter).

Question is how original do they have to be to get a copyright? I mean my quilts designs aren't the same old pattern with a different fabric line. But...let's look at my Tsunami design...is it "original enough" or would someone argue that its really just a bunch of pinwheel and snail trail blocks?
Old 04-07-2011, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Janie Q
There are some books out there about the subject and you might ask at the local quilt guild - sometimes they know people who sell their own designs.
Know of any good books in particular?

Originally Posted by amma
Maybe find a book at your library? :D:D:D
I totally would. Unfortunatly because 4 of the books I borrowed were among the things my ex won't give me back I have almost $100 in late fees and lost book fines.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
Originally Posted by cctx.

REFERENCE:

Cox M., copyright 2008,
I think I kind of get it. I've never been the best with things that are a bit technical (or explained to me with video game or Kittie references for that matter).

Question is how original do they have to be to get a copyright? I mean my quilts designs aren't the same old pattern with a different fabric line. But...let's look at my Tsunami design...is it "original enough" or would someone argue that its really just a bunch of pinwheel and snail trail blocks?

They have to be original designed by you in order to get a copyright.
Most of the patterns that are offered free with no or some copyright issues are "Public Domain" meaning, anyone can use them, and some have limitations and exceptions to the rule.

For example, I make a quilt pattern from my own perspective design and never bothered to have registered for a copyright on that perspective design.
Then someone else does my same design somewhere in time, and that someone files for a copyright license on "My" design and this will automatically make me lose my rights on what I had designed in the first place and I cannot arbitrate/argue the nature of the copyright issue.

It's for the owner's copyright protection, profit, and revenue.

Your Local Public Library has many, many books on quilting; the internet provides many safe links for patterns and quilt-making.

Good Luck!