Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
pucker up baby! >

pucker up baby!

pucker up baby!

Old 05-30-2016, 04:01 AM

I am fortunate to be in a group with access to large tables. I think having a large hard flat surface is key when you are pin basting a quilt sandwich. Also it's nice to have willing hands to help so that I don't get lazy and pin too far apart. Keep working at it you will get there - bet those tucks aren't as bad as you think.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:20 AM

I had this problem with the little I Spy I just quilted. I basted it with Elmer's washable and obviously didn't get the top "tight" enough. My batting was not too fluffy; in fact, it is, I think, a little too thin (a single layer of polyester). Where I noticed it most was the sashing, which was cut across the fabric (strips cut width of fabric or from selvedge to selvedge). I also used a walking foot, and the serpentine stitch on my Brother 450Q. I've used that stitch for many quilts and never had this problem before. The sashing was Kona white, too, so not a cheap fabric.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:35 AM

I saved Prism's post for future reference. I don't use starch at all but in the kind of quilt I've just made, with lots of small "blocks" and sashings, it sounds like a great idea. I also didn't think about changing the presser foot dial but will keep that in mind. I said I didn't get my quilt "tight" enough, but I didn't mean taut or stretched. I just smooth it and check the back to make sure I don't have wrinkles. I think my problem was exactly as some of you have said: stretching while quilting. Mine was not terrible but I did have a few tiny tucks where quilting crossed which annoys me greatly.

Thanks to the original poster for posing this issue and to everyone who provided tips and helps!
Old 05-30-2016, 07:20 AM

I am adding my thanks to the poster and responders - lots of useful information and encouragement - this board is great!!
Old 05-30-2016, 08:10 PM

Great thread--I'm teaching a beginner friendly class in July with the goal of doing an easy MSQC pattern in the morning and then helping them do their sandwiching and do some practice of quilting on DSM before end of class. Great ideas--I'll pass along Prism's about starch!
Old 05-30-2016, 09:09 PM

When there are areas that are causing puckers on the top, "feed" them toward the walking foot and it will distribute them more evenly.
Sharon in TX
Old 05-30-2016, 10:49 PM

You use poly batting but you don't say which thickness. If you are using the 1" thickness you will get problems. Try a thinner more like 1/4" thickness. This one will still more slightly but with pins 3-4 inches apart should be stable. Also you should stabilise the quilt from the centre outwards before doing free motion or lines. Lines should be done opposite directions, I do centre to edge along edge to start new line to other side edge then along edge and back to centre. ( roughly a figure 8 from centre). My friend did all her rows the same direction and made a terrible mess of movement to all be undone.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:29 AM

Great post! Lots of great tips. Thanks everyone!