Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Puckering Paper Piecing Seams >

Puckering Paper Piecing Seams

Puckering Paper Piecing Seams

Old 06-10-2015, 11:01 AM

Sometimes the paper can be a bit slippery and cause the puckering. Do you happen to have a teflon foot? I would also try adjusting the foot pressure to make sure the feed dogs are moving the paper along at the same speed as the fabric. I don't have a Janome 15000, but I do have the 8900. Are you using the Accufeed feet or the standard feet? That might also be a factor. If you're using one, try the other to see if that helps.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:37 AM

I have a small Janome with same setup, and have used both copy paper and arithmetic paper for piecing including the special Carol Doak paper. I had some of the opposite tension problem, with underside having loose stitches, which I attributed to the paper swooshing in the feed dogs.
I prefer paper with a little more 'grip' to it, less slick, and before I get going I try a couple different tension and presser foot settings until I get a good fit.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:07 PM

It sounds like the feed dogs are working but the paper isn't moving along with the fabric..are you using straight pins to anchor the fabric to the paper? the Teflon foot mentioned earlier might be the solution..use some alcohol to clean the bottoms of the presser feet..might help.. ease up the presser foot pressure also.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:20 PM

I've not had a problem like that however I too was wondering about the presser foot ......good luck........calla
Old 06-10-2015, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

are your feed dogs clean? can you try using a teflon foot? One that is meant to go over fabrics more easily. Or try a walking foot if necessary.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:40 PM

This seems like a very small needle. How about a 12 needle? What size is your thread?
Old 06-10-2015, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by LyndaOH View Post
Sometimes the paper can be a bit slippery and cause the puckering. Do you happen to have a teflon foot? I would also try adjusting the foot pressure to make sure the feed dogs are moving the paper along at the same speed as the fabric. I don't have a Janome 15000, but I do have the 8900. Are you using the Accufeed feet or the standard feet? That might also be a factor. If you're using one, try the other to see if that helps.
I don't have a Teflon foot and I'm using the open toe foot. I'm going to try and decrease the pressure on the foot. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2015, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by barny View Post
This seems like a very small needle. How about a 12 needle? What size is your thread?
I'll try an 11 or 14 needle and decrease the foot pressure. I am using a 50 wt. Aurifil thread.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Honchey View Post
It sounds like the feed dogs are working but the paper isn't moving along with the fabric..are you using straight pins to anchor the fabric to the paper? the Teflon foot mentioned earlier might be the solution..use some alcohol to clean the bottoms of the presser feet..might help.. ease up the presser foot pressure also.

I'm also trying the Carol Doak foundation paper instead of the newsprint that came with the pattern. It is better, but does a little puckering still. The newsprint paper is slicker than the foundation paper. Still not perfect, but maybe I'll get there.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:16 PM

Are the feed dogs all the way up? Do they have any lint that needs to be brushed out?