Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Puckers in a Batik >

Puckers in a Batik

Puckers in a Batik

Old 09-09-2016, 06:44 AM

I wonder if you took it to a cleaner's - maybe if they press it with a big mangle it'll stay flat long enough to get it quilted? Those are a lot bigger and hotter than your home iron.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
I have seen this happen with batik fabric a couple of times. I have a piece that has some distortion. In the process, as you know, wax is applied and then dye; the wax is removed with a heat process; new wax is applied and then dye. If the wax is overheated when it is being removed it can permanently stretch or shrink the base fabric. If you use the fabric as a backing you will have to just, at random, to allow the variations to be stitched down in the tiny pleats. If, on the other hand, you used it on the top as a whole cloth quilt, you would have opportunity for interesting design features. I think the fabric it stunningly beautiful. Various chemicals and heat can do permanent change to fabric.
Thank you for explaining this. I hadn't thought about excessive heat causing the distortion, but I think that must be what happened.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
I have had this happen with batiks that have a design that seems to be painted with a child's paintbrush. I think it is whatever resist is used. Sometimes the batik itself is a more open weave.
The design on this is very heavy, almost like paint, but it does go through the fabric.

Mavita - yes, I would have to add strips to the top and bottom of the "top" fabric when placing it on the bottom.

Thanks everyone for the help. I'm starting to view this fabric as an opportunity rather than a mistake. I really do love the colors in it.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:41 PM

Could you iron a really light weight interfacing onto the batik to stabilize it then quilt it?
Old 09-10-2016, 12:47 AM

I would use Terial Magic to make it as stiff as a board, then stitch away.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:17 AM

It is such a pretty fabric, I wouldn't want to cut it up. I'd consider using it as a whole top and a whole cloth back too. Let your stitching be the star and the pleating that may occur be a point of interest. I see three dimentional quilts all the time with pleating and/or foiding used.