Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Purchase a pattern or make it on my own? >

Purchase a pattern or make it on my own?

Purchase a pattern or make it on my own?

Old 06-17-2012, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by cwessel47 View Post
For those who might like to see - this is the table runner I mentioned in my last post. Have any of you seen this before?
I've never seen that combination, before. If you get right down to it, just about any block can be said to be "based" on an older block. Shame on the person, who shamed you! I bet the Mexican Star block could be said to be based on another block, as well!
Old 06-17-2012, 06:25 PM

So many patterns are just a new layout or color scheme or a combination or varation of all of older patterns. So I feel drafting is fine. Sometime you can even find the blocks in the books/patterns you already own.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:44 PM

I say if you can, learn to draft your own patterns. They will be your own creation because you'll probably change something anyway. You can, as others have said, save a bundle by not buying every single pattern. Our foremothers drafted their own patterns also, so I think it behoves us to learn to do that too.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:06 AM

I have that program. Its really good especially if you want to do what I call photo work - taking a photo and turning it into a quilt block.
Originally Posted by Marysewfun View Post
I use regular paper, on my swivel rotary cutting mat and use the lines on it to measure and draw my graph as big as I want it - And like the Fons show ref. above, I decide how big I want my block and draft accordingly. I do like her suggestion of doing only half the block if it is a big block or whatever (duhhh-never thought of that.) From your draft you can pretty much figure out the sizes - I also draw the crazy quilt blocks based on the same idea.

Someone asked about a free program - there is a fabulous little Free program - QuiltAssistant - http://www.cosman.nl/software_en.html (not affiliated, just a happy user) It takes a little learning curve (not bad) but if you follow the manual that comes with it, it is fabulous. And that program will give you templates, sizes or whatever when you are through drafting, approx yardages, and you can color in it. I have fun playing with it when I see a picture and want to play around with figuring it out.

Marysewfun
Old 06-18-2012, 04:13 AM

I have used that pattern and its very cool. BTW - its also called a Dallas Star, Mexican Rose, Panama Block and Star & Cross! So go figure how an 'original' block can have 5 different names!

and that tablerunner is just GORGEOUS!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by cwessel47 View Post
For those who might like to see - this is the table runner I mentioned in my last post. Have any of you seen this before?
Old 06-18-2012, 11:42 AM

There are so many free patterns out there. Wish I would have thought of that when I first started quilting! I've got a library to rival the bookstore!