Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
purchased quilts from a store >

purchased quilts from a store

purchased quilts from a store

Old 03-25-2011, 06:10 PM

I have bought a few off here but they was just the tops.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:05 PM

My king size bed has a solid color thin quilt purchased on it and I made the coordinating bed runner out of yo-yo's.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:49 PM

Becareful that it is not made in China.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot

They depend upon us to better their lives.
Ah yes, and so do the LQS, our local Fabric stores, internet fabric stores, the beggar down the road, etc.

Your first priority should be to your own family and your own budget. The others need to do the same...

The idea that "they depend on us" can be too much to bear. I can't stand the idea that the "world" is depending on my dollars. I need them to pay my own bills--taking care of my teeth, my doctor bills, educating my children. I really am not ready to take on the burden of the world. :)

That said, I don't really like buying the made in china quilts with 1/8" seam allowances. The ones I bought fell apart after the third washing and there was nothing to repair them with, so they got demoted to the pets for when our dogs have puppies, etc.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:40 PM

[quote=Jingle]
Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
all our bedding comes from the store.

a king size quilt costs thousands between materials and time - far too much to use for sleeping and washing every 3-4 days.

Do you honestly think anyone believes this????
Actually I don't know anyone who washes their quilts every 3-4 days. Sheets maybe, if you are somewhat compulsive, but the top? Hmm. Each to his own. Some people wash their towels daily as well.

But then, I did read on one forum of one woman whose whole family cleaned their house for 2-3 hours a day (all the kids included). They thoroughly scrubbed their bathrooms/kitchen....daily. I didn't see how they even had time to mess them up since they did schoolwork the rest of the time. :)

Each to his/her own.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:48 PM

I use store-bought quilts and comforters on the bed because that way I don't have to worry about the cats sleeping on them. Around here quilts have to get washed rather frequently because of shedding and sometimes hair balls - yuk! I don't currently have any bed quilts I've made. Gave the few to my kids. For me it's more about the doing than about the finished product, and lately I've made mostly wall quilts, doll quilts, lap quilts and baby quilts, and just little things for practicing FMQ.

When the flood of cheap import quilts started more than 20 years it may have served to increase my interest in quilting as a hobby. I brought one home and thought after studying it a bit that I could do that, and maybe a little better. Also, having it around reminded me of watching my grandmother quilt, and made me nostalgic for quilting as a craft I wanted to carry forward. I wonder if others reacted that way.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:10 AM

I have a quilt I bought on my bed. We have cats that have a tendency to 'catch' their claws in the bedding, so I have it over the one I made, for protection. If they mess up the one I bought, I don't care. They keep us warm, and I don't have to get tense when mishaps occur.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:06 AM

I usually only make king and queen quilts and change them often. I rather save my money for fabric than buy a quilt at the store.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:06 AM

There are NO store bought quilts in my house, I've made all of the quilts we use. The only store bought blanket is the one we use to cover up the couch.
DH's cousin bought a quilt at Wal-mart and it started falling apart after the 1st wash.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:09 AM

With all due respect, not all ready made quilts are "WalMart quality", whatever that means to anyone, and dare I say, probably not even all the quilts sold at WalMart. Like anything else you buy, quality varies a lot and you have to pay attention.

As for imported...Martha Stewart quilts are made in China, Denyse Schmidt quilts are made in India, Pottery Barn's Gee's Bend and Sunburst quilts are imported (though PB refuses to say from where)...you get the idea. Imported does not mean lack of quality by any stretch of the imagination.

Clearly a great many of us have purchased quilts for one reason or another, or for no reason except that we simply liked what we saw, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. :D