Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Purchasing Fabric

Banned
    I usually buy 2 yards of whatever - along with maybe one or two other pieces that "go"... if not, then just the two yards. In the case of the swirl that really (really) shouted at me, I got three yards... which I'm glad I did - made a huge quilt.

When Hancock had the batiks half price I got one yard of a whoooooole bunch of them - those are so cool for fans and plates :shock:
    I have lots of batiks and brights 8)

I'm thinking about donating some of my stash to the quilt quild that I joined. There are some women there who absolutely cannot afford to go out and buy and I have lots of stuff I got from Walmart on the markdown (not the cheap-cheap stuff) for a dollar a yard and kind of want to weed that out...

Okie
    Ok. I know where you are at! Yes thats my last name. Are you originally from around Chickasha? I think DH family is pretty much from around the Enid area, but you know some are scattered around!

mgshaw

Yes Chickasha is home and has been for close to 60 years (for me anyway). I do genealogy(at least before I came down with quiling fever) and they migrated to Oklahoma via Texas, Georgia, and Alabama.
    Depending on how long I have this fever I may never get back to genealogy.

Well Okie I think Quilting Fever is a permanent affliction (or addiction) :lol:
    I will ask Grandma Shaw about any relatives in your area.

I NEVER have a pattern in mind when I am looking at fabric. If I do, I usually TRY to have the pattern with me, or TRY to remember HOW MUCH I need. But, that usually never works.

Here's what I do.
    If I like it and I walk back to it a couple times and say...yea, it's nice, then I'll buy 1/2 yard. That's 2 fats and I LOVE fat quarter quilts.

If it's something that will make a nice border or eye catching part of a quilt, then it's usually 2 or 3 yards.

If it's for a backing and I think it'll look nice in the front of the quilt......well, then I might buy the entire bolt, but usually about 8 yards.

If it SCREAMS my name and won't let me out of the store without it....well, that means I HAVE to have it and it could be anywhere from 6 yards to the entire bolt.

I have learned that if the fabric is really pretty and you REALLY like it, then buy at least 2 yards. I made the mistake of only buying a yard of a fabric I LOVED, only to go back and it was gone. I still have the fabric, not sure what I will do with it, maybe cut it for a fat quarter quilt, dunno, but I really LOVE it and DON'T want to cut it. lol
    I think it will be one of those that stays in my "collection". ;)

I'm staying in the "buy only for a project in mind" state of mind...for the moment. :lol: I was at the quilting store yesterday and there was a lot of kids fabrics and bright/bold fabrics that I really liked. But was in the same boat as you...how much should I buy? So I didn't buy anything. I figure, it'll be there later. And if not, ah well.

I've already gone plum crazy buying scrapping supplies, I'm trying not to add another money suck. :lol:

Yeah, let's see how long that lasts!

Blog Entries
    I figure, it'll be there later. And if not, ah well.
    I have come to realize that there will ALWAYS be a fabric calling my name. If I miss getting this one, there will be another one next time. Therefore, I try to buy for a project.

Buy 3 yards if something you really like (borders or focal fabric in quilt). 2 if you are not sure but can incorparate other colors you like . Buy fat Q's often to build your stash if you like scrappy. Build your stash w/ colors you like and can coordinate. Lights are good tocollect always need backgrounds.

Ok...I'm a little different (in oh so many waysLOL) I collect red with white and whites with red.... and also blues...but I'm doing a charm soon in the red/whites I just need some more before I start cutting.

will buy anywhere from 1/4 yard to the bolt depending on cost, budget, if I think I'll really use a lot of it, quality, ability to use in more than one project, and whether it screams out to me or someone close to me. Whew! that's a lotta rules that really just = depends.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2