Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
putting blocks together slightly slanted left and right >

putting blocks together slightly slanted left and right

putting blocks together slightly slanted left and right

Old 03-02-2010, 07:29 AM

Hi, I have made 9 blocks with apples as its theme using many different techniques. (It was a challenge from my quilt group) and now want to put them together. Since they are so different, I would like to add a log cabin type border around each and then cut them askew so that each block leans right or left. I am not sure now to do this correctly and can not find a picture or pattern. The log cabin method uses oblong pieces. Is there a way to use pieces cutting the oblong across from lower corner to top corner on other side? I hope you all understand what I am trying to say. Anyway, any ideas on different ways to put these blocks together will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-02-2010, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

This is how I did it. I put the sashings on regualar then using a ruler, cut the sashing narrow to wide from end to end. Then sewed the narrow end to the wider end of each block. If you plan four blocks will make a big star shape when put together. I'll see if I can find picture of one like this I saw at a quilt show.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:55 AM

The way I would do it is to put on sashings way wider than you need and then slap a big square ruler on them and trim them square. You can put the ruler on however you want that way and they're nice and square with the design in the block going the way you want without giving yourself a headache!
Old 03-02-2010, 07:57 AM

I'm working on a baby quilt right now that I set the blocks "askew". I put 2 1/2" strips around the block then layed my 6 1/2" ruler on top at an angle and cut . Here's a picture of one to give you a better idea what I mean (hopefully).
Attached Thumbnails attachment-26865.jpe  
Old 03-02-2010, 08:01 AM

I haven't done this, but have read instructions. Unfortunately, I can't remember where they are or I'd send you a link. The easiest way is to add a sashing around each block, whatever width you want. Mark a point on the outside edge of the sashing on each side of the block, the same length from the right or left hand corner (depending on which way you want the block to lean). Then cut from point to point around the square. You need to make sure that there's at least a 1/4" space between the corner of the apple block and the cut edge of the sashing so you don't cut off any of the block when you're sewing them together. The wider you cut the sashing, the more the tilt of the inside blocks.

I hope this makes sense to you.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:03 AM

I just happened across a pattern with blocks set at a slant, it's free and it's here:

http://quiltville.com/happyscrappyhouses.shtml

Does this help any? I may be misunderstanding your question! :-)
Old 03-02-2010, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

http://www.quilterscache.com/T/Tilti...atchBlock.html
you mainly just need to be sure to leave 1/4 inch around your block when placing your ruler. that way you don't chop off points.
i took a class and we added rectangle strips and then trimmed with our ruler to tilt some left and some right.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...rrent=1848.jpg
and
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...rrent=882f.jpg

some patterns call for those rectangles to be cut and then sewn on. less waste but i used what i cut off later on. no waste in my sewing room.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:08 AM

Doesn't this cause a problem when sewing the very thin end of the cut oblong? Or when you cut do you cut not from the corner but in further?
Sorry, I am new to this so I wanted to address this to one responder in particular....oh well, You all are great and the information you sent is very helpful. Thanks so much
Old 03-02-2010, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
This is how I did it. I put the sashings on regualar then using a ruler, cut the sashing narrow to wide from end to end. Then sewed the narrow end to the wider end of each block. If you plan four blocks will make a big star shape when put together. I'll see if I can find picture of one like this I saw at a quilt show.
Hi, I think this is what I want but when you cut the sashing narrow to wide from end to end, is it corner to corner? If so, isn't it impossible to sew the narrow end? Or do you make the sashing wider? Or cut the sashing in from the end enough so it can be sewn? Thanks.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
sounds good