Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: putting quilt and batting together

I have the most trouble when I put the batting, quilt top, and backing together. What is the best way you have found to keep the three pieces together while you stipple quilt it. I have tried saftey pins, basting [which takes forever] and the spray glue. No matter what I try I always have a pucker! HELP

Try pinning each layer separately.

I spray the batting put on the backing and pin the two together at the edges. Then spray the batting for the top, put the top on and pin at the edges again. I don't sew baste at all and haven't had problems.

What I do to keep the quilt from puckering is I start in the middle of the quilt and tempory each corner of the blocks with yarn or pin it with safety pins. You can also just start in the middle and work outward and sew as you go. If I do get a pucker I just rip out the seam that caused the pucker and hand sew it so the pucker goes away.

Blog Entries
    Try slightly stretching out your backing by pinning or taping it to something and then sandwich the quilt by using spray, pinning or basting. If you don't start with stretching the backing this way, it is easier to get puckers IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Try slightly stretching out your backing by pinning or taping it to something and then sandwich the quilt by using spray, pinning or basting. If you don't start with stretching the backing this way, it is easier to get puckers IMHO
    The ladies in my church quilting group do this. We use the big tables in the kitchen and tape that thing down good. Works very well.

Starching the backing will also help take care of puckers.

Blog Entries
    I tape my bottom down to a table, stretching it just " a little" not too much and then use the spray to baste it all together with a few well placed pins ( just in case :wink: )

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paintbug
    I have the most trouble when I put the batting, quilt top, and backing together. What is the best way you have found to keep the three pieces together while you stipple quilt it. I have tried saftey pins, basting [which takes forever] and the spray glue. No matter what I try I always have a pucker! HELP
    Starch!

I heavily starch my backing fabric with a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water. I paint the solution onto the fabric until it is saturated, toss in the dryer, and then iron with steam. All this before I ever layer the quilt sandwich. Starch stabilizes the backing fabric so it doesn't pucker as you machine quilt.

It also helps to starch the top (using spray starch) before layering.

If the quilt is already sandwiched, it even helps to spray starch the backing and top. Just lay it out on a large sheet to catch overspray. Spray the starch on and let it dry several times.

I think you will be amazed at how good this is at preventing puckers.

oooooooh, good idea... love that starch!

Blog Entries
    i use a can of 505 or Sulky spray basting now or fusible batting. no more crawling around on the floor for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast