Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Putting a zipper in a Bow Tuck bag

HMK

Putting a zipper in a Bow Tuck bag

I've made a Bow Tuck bag but for the next one, would like to put a zipper in it. Can anyone give me some guidance on how to do this? Thanks.

Bow Tuck with Zipper

Here is a tutorial showing how to do it. If you search for bow tuck zipper on the site, I think there is another tutorial as well. Good luck. I'm going to try doing this myself hopefully in the next week.
    Heather

Thanks for asking. I was wondering about that too.

piney

HMK
    Guess I'm just dense cause I find the tutorial confusing to this ol' brain. But thanks for trying to help. Guess I'll just have to try & figure things out.

I put a zipper in using a 12" zipper. I cut 4 rectangles 10.5" x 2". sew right side in -on three sides. (short sides and one long side.) Turn and press. I sewed this in at the time I was putting in the handles and sewing in the lining. I put these plackets between the handles and lining. I centered them with the handles(one on each side.) I sewed the zipper onto these plackets after all sewing on the bag was done. I started the opening of the zipper at one end of the placket and let the closed end of the zipper extend beyond the placket. this gives you a wider opening when opening a your bag. I put a small square tab at the end of the zipper. (found on most purses with zippers.) I added a ribbon to match my material in the zipper head. When looking for zippers, I found there is a lot to chose from but the color I needed was only in a nylon dress zipper. I did not take any pictures but it was really easy to do.

If you need more directions or want me to draw pictures let me know. Phannie

Thanks for the idea Phannie. Sound easy enough now gotta try it.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass......It's learning how to dance in the rain!

The picture of my Bow Tuck shows the plackets but I did not get a picture with the zipper. I did not ring the bag with a zipper.Name:  Sues_BowTuck.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  675.0 KB

Cute bag. Very sweet, spring colors.

Wow Phannie 1. That is so easy to understand even "I" can do that. Thanks!