Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pythagoran's Lute - Help needed >

Pythagoran's Lute - Help needed

Pythagoran's Lute - Help needed

Old 06-08-2016, 03:53 PM

Default Pythagoran's Lute - Help needed

Hello everyone!

I need some help. So I am done all 10 wedges of Pythagoran's Lute ... it's been a fun paper piecing experience!

Here's a pic of all my wedges:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]551854[/ATTACH]

Now, here's my problem. If you look REALLY closely you will see that the light pink and dark pink on the second row - opposite of each other - do not line up. And I don't understand ... they are all sewn exactly the same.

I took two fat quarters and cut everything out and sewed two wedges in opposite colours ... like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]551856[/ATTACH]

And they all work out except for these two.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]551855[/ATTACH]

If I follow everything (like I have done) then the point on the end of wedge is the same colour as the points on the star at the very top. So the wedge on the left in the pic above is how it is supposed to look.

And yet, the light pink doesn't line up with the light pink when I lay them out.

I took the tops apart and changed them thinking I had mixed them up ... but it still doesn't work.

Does anyone have any brilliant ideas? Because I am out?

Thanks so much!
Attached Thumbnails img_0695.jpg   img_0699.jpg   img_0700.jpg  
Old 06-08-2016, 04:12 PM

Haven't a clue, but wow so pretty. Does the pattern have a mistake?? That's is the only thought I have.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:26 PM

I have no idea but this is going to be a gorgeous quilt! Are all the measurements are the same for the depth of each row on this pair? It looks like the pentagon in the top right of the bottom row isn't oriented the same way as the one on the left side. Cutting one side too short can throw this kind of pattern off badly. It is likely just the camera angle making it look wonky but double check the measurements of that piece. The second row on that one on the bottom right (that starts with maroon) looks shorter than the second row on the bottom left (that starts with pink), too. Again, could be camera angle or not as flattened out.... Good luck!

PS counting lines on the mat, the one on the bottom right is at least an inch shorter than the one on the left.

Last edited by ibex94; 06-08-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:00 PM

Ibex. Thanks. But nope, that's not it. Where the wedges join each other on the left and right the triangles make a square of the same colour. Except for those two. That's what I'm trying to figure out
Old 06-08-2016, 05:08 PM

Ok. here is a better picture
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

Last edited by MarionsQuilts; 06-08-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:02 PM

looks to me that you sewed the last round on the two with the red/ dark pink at the wide end on the wrong sets. The top one in the picture, just the last dark Pink/red part, belongs on the bottom. the red points are all on the bottom except that last round, and the the pink points is all at the top, except that last round.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:46 PM

This is going to be one great quilt when you finish it. I just love a mystery. Your last picture showed where I think the errors are. I pulled your photo into paint and circled the parts that are reversed on your triangles. Just rip these off and put them on the others and you should be correct.
Attached Thumbnails pythagoras-lute-marionquilts4-error.jpg  
Old 06-08-2016, 07:54 PM

I think the outside points at 5 o'clock and 11 o'clock are mixed up or perhaps it is the whole spiral that is in the wrong place.

What happens when you swap them out?
Old 06-08-2016, 08:20 PM

Sorry I can't help resolve your issue. Jut just wanted to say your quilt will be beautiful when it is finished.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:51 PM

Did you check that that when you printed off the paper template that they were all the same size. One could have been slightly smaller?????

Ask me how I know this!!!!!!!