Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QAYG outcome >

QAYG outcome

QAYG outcome

Old 07-13-2014, 05:18 AM

I have made several QAYG, some with the backing square larger than the front (I did a tutorial on this a couple of years ago), I have done the strip/sashing method by GourmetQuilter.com, and with table runners or toppers, I have made the backing and batting the total size of the piece, and sewed the front blocks, block by block right through all layers. The sahsing can take some time, buy as previously mentioned, small whip stitches are good, or the machine sewing with Gourmet works well too.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:33 AM

This is great Kelly - I had wondered about it too.
Holy Mackerel Lynnie - 350+ quilts! I am in awe!
The examples shown are each lovely and not at all what I expected. I am going to have to check out Marti Mitchell's book.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:45 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...s-t115627.html
This is a tute from here on the board! I loved how easy it is. Here is a picture of my JAS.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]482876[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails moreqayg.gif  
Old 07-13-2014, 06:52 AM

I like the quilt that ......quiltingnd did.....very nice.....i made a small qayg for charity and used the method in crazy short cut quilts.....i really like the method i used from the book. No hand sewing for me......i have a hard enough time sewing a label on.....i have a bad right hand....doesn't look bad but doesn't work real good.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:09 AM

I also did a Fun and Done quilt. It is easy to do. You cut the backing larger and sew two blocks togather by bringing the backings togather and sewing then sew them down on the front of the blocks.
Attached Thumbnails fun-done_01.jpg  
Old 07-13-2014, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

I am finishing up a QAYG right now. I have made several using different techniques. I do think it takes longer than traditional way.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

I like the fabrics and colors that you chose. I thought it was an interesting QAYG method, as usually you sew all 3 layers together, then quilt and then just bring the strips together. However you do it, I think I'm going to put a QAYG quilt on my Roundtoit List.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by kellyer21 View Post
I've heard that some people are not happy with the way their qayg projects turn out. Would those of you who have one finished and don't mind putting it on here, post pictures for me. Also, if you did like qayg which method did you use?
Thanks!
Kelly~
Here's a link to the last quilt I did using quilt as you go method.

Method kind of adapted from kaye wood's 6 hour quilt but don't use a serger.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t247229.html

On this one, I made all the first row block tops and sewed together as a row. Sandwiched that row with batting and backing. Quilted as I needed. This is what I considered my first completed row.

Subsequent rows were done with block tops sewn together to match the length of the first completed row. Sew top, right side down to top of completed row.

On other side of completed row, layer backing, right side up and batting as last layer.
Stitch all layers together, flip second row over. Glue baste or pin baste. Quilt. Keep going on your rows.

I think this is called flip and sew, but not sure. The quilt is queen size and I forgot what the actual measurements were, but it is big.
Serita
Old 07-13-2014, 10:57 AM

Here is my qayg, lap quilting per Bonesteel's instructions. All the applique and quilting on this quilt is by hand except for machine sewing the blocks together. I still have the border to finish. I.m ashamed to say how long I have been working on it. The pattern is from Heirloom Applique by Pat Andreatta and the quilt photo I got my inspiration from was made by P[ATTACH=CONFIG]482923[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]482924[/ATTACH]am Johnson. I have taken it slow because my fingers wear out and I need to rest

I have also made a quilt using Sharon Pederson's method in her book Reversible Quilts. I machine quilted this one block at a time and then used the lattice. Came out great. Don't have a picture as I made this one for my granddaughter.
Attached Thumbnails dsc00400-640x472-.jpg   dsc00399-640x480-.jpg  
Old 07-13-2014, 12:02 PM

I just finished my first bed size quilt, a memory quilt with my late husband's button down shirts, 82" X 90", using a quilt as you go technique. It was done in panels. It turned out great. I went to You Tube and watched several different QAYG videos. I chose the one done in panels because I used a new Jenny Doan block, the Disappearing Pinwheel (Shoefly) which didn't use sashing between the blocks. It took some extra time as I was not familiar with the QAYG methods, but I didn't have a fight between the quilt and the sewing machine. I don't have a long arm machine.

Last edited by dee1245; 07-13-2014 at 12:04 PM.