Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QIAD Magazine? >

QIAD Magazine?

QIAD Magazine?

Old 04-12-2009, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
It's sad for us that remember how things use to be. The younger generation has no memories of them to keep them going. I read that 9 out of 10 homes do not get a home delivered newspaper anymore.
its sad but you dont need newspapers anymore really. We are now living in an age where you can get your news 24/7 online or by cable tv. Besides think of all the trees being saved by not having newspapers.

Now if we could get rid of all the unwanted junk mail wed save a whole lot more trees. And I dont really like subscribing to a bunch of magazines because most of the magazine is ad space. I recently took out all the ad inserts and ad pages that were in a magazine I bought off the stand, it was HALF the magazine. All that wasted paper/trees.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:17 PM

the waste issue is debatable, because anything that is run electrically is also using energy. also, printing computer paper is causing plenty of trees to go down. and spam is nothing but unwanted advertising. and not even on subject.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
the waste issue is debatable, because anything that is run electrically is also using energy. also, printing computer paper is causing plenty of trees to go down. and spam is nothing but unwanted advertising. and not even on subject.
very true........

all i was saying is that i do my part to try to help reduce my impact on the environment.

Side note: I have gone back to washing and drying clothes like my grandmother used to do before the advent of washing machines and dryers. Its actually hard work but I am noticing my arms are getting stronger. I see now why laundresses (and my grandmother) had such nice biceps.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:57 PM

I saw Linda's post about this when the decision was made over at the QIAD board. She said that subscriptions pay the printing costs, but all the other expenses and profit are in the advertising. Since they are in a position to know, I believe them.

If those advertisements in the magazines I buy serve to keep bringing me inspiration, new techniques, the words of amazing quilters I would never get to know of otherwise, plus new toys to look at and contemplate - and those same advertisements pay the staff to write, edit, shoot the pictures I drool over, distribute, etc. (who, by the way, like to earn a living wage the same as I do) - well, I don't mind so much.

If people keep demanding free, and are unwilling to pay for anything - I guess then it's nothing we will get.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:39 PM

i totally agree. everyone wants to make a living. no one wants to help others make a living.

it's like paying school taxes. everyone wants good schools for their own kids. once those kids are grown, no one wants to pay that tax. but everyone complains when american kids are behind the rest of the world academically, and i personally don't want my heart repaired by someone with a second-rate education.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

I like the ads in the quilting magazine that are quilt related. I sometimes have to tear them out to show someone that yes there is such a tool that does this! Look! When I first started quilting I bought and read every quilt magazine I could find. No quilt websites to go to then. As far a saving paper, the corp where I use to work had a dumpster full of shredded paper every week. It was burned not recyled, afraid some one would piece the paper back together. And they still have a dumpster full of paper even though everything is on computer. Computer paper was ordered by the truck load and this wasn't even one of the bigger firms. No recycled paper either. Use to make me frustrated. :roll: :roll:
Old 04-13-2009, 12:27 PM

yup.