Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QoV quilts... >

QoV quilts...

QoV quilts...

Old 05-29-2016, 06:07 PM

Default QoV quilts...

Does anyone know if making a quilt that strongly resembles the American is inappropriate? Been waiting for response from QoV organization.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:09 PM
Power Poster

The American ??
Old 05-29-2016, 06:27 PM

If you mean the American Flag. I see it all the time. I don't think QOV is the authority on the subject. So, don't wait for an answer from them.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:28 PM

Yes , American flag
Old 05-29-2016, 06:28 PM

Sorry...Yes the American flag. Forgot.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:51 PM

Do not make a QOV quilt of the American flag or for any veteran. Veteran's coffin are draped in the flag and it is a very emotional symbol to them. I just ask my veteran DH this once and he shivered violently, said, "No!" and left the room. He said later is was a horrifying thought to lay under the flag.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:58 PM

Just was wondering cuz I see so many rwb quilts that are contempory version of the flag. I know wrong to wear anything that looks like the flag...but so many do. Just want to surprise my brother...Viet Nam vet and don't want offend him. So off I go...plan B and already drew one up on EQ5.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Julienm1 View Post
Does anyone know if making a quilt that strongly resembles the American is inappropriate? Been waiting for response from QoV organization.

I am a QOV member and group leader, Channel Islands QOV Gals, and making an American Flag quilt is discouraged. I put the question out on the Quilt of Valor Facebook page. I've made quilts from panels that have the flag in the picture, but never would make an American Flag quilt to award.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:16 PM

I am glad to see this subject discussed. I just made three Quilts of Valor, and I didn't use one of the fabrics I ordered to use because it reminded me too much of a real flag, and I remembered the coffins being draped in the flag. It just seemed wrong to use this fabric. (Actually, I was going to make a pillowcase out of it to put one of the quilts in.) I am glad to know that my instinct was the correct one. I would never want to give a veteran something that would make him or her uncomfortable.

Dina
Old 05-29-2016, 09:22 PM

In addition to the reasons already mentioned, I had a friend who was a Sargent in Operation Enduring Freedom. She lost some of her buddies over there & takes the US flag very, very seriously. I was on a trip with her & another friend once and our mutual friend brought a blanket that closely resembled the US flag. My friend (the vet) was constantly concerned about the blanket getting perilously close to touching the floor. A real flag must be burned if that happens & she was conflicted about whether she would have to burn our friend's blanket if it were to touch the floor since it looked so real.

If you want to do something flag-themed, I would either just do some small blocks that somewhat resemble flags, or else make it very stylized so that it's clearly patriotic but readily distinguishable from an actual American flag.