Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QoV quilts... >

QoV quilts...

QoV quilts...

Old 05-29-2016, 10:13 PM
Power Poster

The Quilts of Valor take elements from our flag (stripes, stars, colors) and then put them together in ways that are reminiscent of, but definitely different from the flag. The reasons have already been mentioned. The quilt should make the recipient feel patriotic and proud, without being an exact replica of our flag.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:54 AM

All things US flag are actually Federal law -- USC Title 36, Chapter 10. The laws refer ONLY to actual flags, not things that just "look like flags." By that I mean, if your quilt has 15 red and white stripes and a blue square with some stars in it, it's not a US flag and can be used as a quilt. An actual flag, by law, should not be worn or used as a blanket. As far as QOV and veterans, the flag draped coffins of the fallen are a very, very powerful and emotional sight, as you can well imagine. That is why quilts that look too much like a flag aren't used as QOV.
What gets my goat, and I've been know to leave notes in people's mailboxes, is when people display torn and tattered American flags or display them incorrectly. I really get teed-off when I see an American flag flown at half-staff when it hasn't been ordered by the President, or, in certain specific circumstances, the Governor of a State.

Last edited by jjs56; 05-30-2016 at 03:58 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

I remember QOV of having a list of what not to use. Did you check their website?? They are very slow with responding to emails.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:02 AM

Thanks jjs56, explained perfectly! And I agree with you about people not following flag protocol, irks me, too.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:53 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

This burning of a US flag if it touches the ground business.....
The codes for flag etiquette (easily found on the internet) make notice that flags "should not touch the ground' and describe how to dispose of worn/very dirty/tattered flags. No mention of burning just because a flag has touched the ground. They CAN be washed after all.

Jan in VA
Old 05-31-2016, 02:14 AM

I repair flags and believe me, some of them are so huge 12x24 up to 30x50 that there is no other way to repair them than to lay them out on the floor to work on them. I am as respectful as possible by not stepping on the flag if it can be avoided and I fix them out of the view of the public because I don't want someone who doesn't understand getting upset. Any trimmed fabric, though not necessary to do so, is given to the local Boy Scout Troop to burn. My feeling is that I would rather the flag touch the ground temporarily to be returned to glory than to fly a tattered mess.

To stay on topic, I think Quilts of Valor is a great organization but do they limit the colors of the quilts to red, white , and blue or can you use other colors used in service like the authentic camo prints?
Old 05-31-2016, 02:39 AM

To stay on topic, I think Quilts of Valor is a great organization but do they limit the colors of the quilts to red, white , and blue or can you use other colors used in service like the authentic camo prints?[/QUOTE]

Please check www.qovf.org to get the answer to your question. Not all veterans want red, white and blue. Other colors and themes such as nature, sports, etc. are ok.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:36 AM

I'm think that making a quilt out of an actual American Flag would be illegal.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:21 AM

I am in the process of finishing a QOV quilt for my daughter. I would never make and American Flag. Hers is red, white and blue, and there are several small pics of flags. The thought of her being covered in a full blown American Flag after surviving 3 tours, would be more than I could imagine. Make one of red, blue, and white flowers. or log cabin, or go to the site, there are plenty of designs, most of them are free.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

I have seen lots of them. I would make one and be done.