Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QoV quilts... >

QoV quilts...

QoV quilts...

Old 05-31-2016, 05:07 AM

Very interesting responses. TUSM. Called DB who will get this quilt but doesn't know I'm making one for him responded saying he thinks a flag quilt would be beautiful. But with these responses, think I'll make a rwb quilt but not the one I charted out.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:48 AM

As with many aspects of life, different people view different things differently. Not all veterans have seen combat or friends die. I have an X SIL who loved all things flag. He was lucky enough to not see combat.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I have seen lots of them. I would make one and be done.
If you've seen quilts that are EXACT replicas of American flags, using them as a blanket, as opposed to displaying them as a flag, is a violation of Federal law, and, frankly, an insult to me and the vast majority of veterans, combat and non-combat.

The OP asked about a quilt RESEMBLING an American flag, specifically for QOV. Look at the quilts on the QOV website.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:54 AM

I knew my sewing skills would never be worthy of making an actual flag, I never knew all that you have taught me here.

Last edited by madamekelly; 05-31-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:59 AM

There are no laws regarding use of or portraying of the American flag. If you google flag etiquette you will find several sites including usflag.org posting the guidelines for appropriately displaying the flag. When making a flag quilt remember that the flag should never touch the ground/floor, and that the flag should never have anything placed on top of it (pillows), also, the flag should never be used as decoration or worn as clothing. I recommend staying away from any pattern resembling a flag; just go with RWB colors. I did find one site that said flag etiquette was covered by "law" but they could not cite the law, only quote the guidelines. All the guidelines use the word "should", never "shall", "will", or "must". All I ask is Please be Courteous.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:27 AM

As a veteran, siblings of veterans and cousin thereof as well, we all agree that a quilt made to look like a flag is something none of us want to use. Goes on our coffin, not over us as we sleep. Am in the process of working on 3 QOV to gift to family members. Thinking on using scrappy carpenters star pattern.