Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Queen size water bed >

Queen size water bed

Queen size water bed

Old 01-08-2014, 05:41 PM

Default Queen size water bed

This may be a silly question, but I'm very good at those! Is a queen size water bed the same size as a regular queen size bed for the purposes of quilt making?
Old 01-08-2014, 06:11 PM

Many moons ago I had a queen size water bed and used a standard queen comforter. A lot of water beds these days look just like standard beds. Back then it was a bag of water in a box and we just tucked the cover down between the sides of the frame and the mattress.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:38 PM

We had a king and used a regular size comforter. As I remember it, the sheets were sized differently but not the blankets.

I loved sleeping on it--the water was warm, so I never felt stiff when I got up in the morning. Of course, I was also younger!
Old 01-08-2014, 08:47 PM

I would say - it varies. You have to account for the frame on each side which is usually
about the same height as the mattress. It also makes a difference if you are making a
summer quilt or one for winter (if one uses a down comforter underneath).
Old 01-08-2014, 10:36 PM

We had a queen size bag in the frame. The mattress was 84" long, four inches longer than the conventional queen mattress.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:38 AM

ours was inside a foam frame, so it looked like a regular mattress. We used regular Queen sheets/blankets/spreads. If in doubt, perhaps measure it?
Old 01-09-2014, 03:01 AM

Ours was longer than queen size. I always had to add a splice to the bottom sheet, but the blankets seemed to fit fine. Wow, those were the days
Old 01-09-2014, 05:26 AM

We LOVE our waterbed. The sheets are different than regular sheets, although when you buy them they are "short sheeted" at least side to side. The last set we bought I ended up cutting up the pillowcases and adding them to the sides! The sheet fit fine until you laid under it, nothing worse than having your side exposed because there isn't enough sheet! I like to buy 100% cotton sheets and not only are they hard to find but they are expensive for a waterbed. I literally wear them out.
When I have made quilts for our queen waterbed, It is usually just over full size.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:58 AM

A queen size water bed is 60 x 84", a little longer than a regular queen size bed, and a little narrower. The purchased queen waterbed sheets are 2 twin bed sheets sewn together at the bottom with added triangles at each corner to hold the bottom sheets down. So, the purchased sheets are not wide enough for 2 people in 1 queen sized waterbed. I always adapted regular sheets - twin flat on the bottom and queen size on top. A normal queen size quilt will work, or you might want to make it a little longer.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Taughtby Grandma View Post
This may be a silly question, but I'm very good at those! Is a queen size water bed the same size as a regular queen size bed for the purposes of quilt making?
the sizes differ. If I remember water bed measures are more square than regular beds