Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question abount quilting frames >

Question abount quilting frames

Question abount quilting frames

Old 09-17-2015, 12:01 PM

Default Question abount quilting frames

I am kind of interested in the new Brother Dream Fabric Frame shown here.
http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/br...bric-frame.php

It is a smaller quilting frame where you use your own Brother sewing machine. I talked to my dealer about it, and she says it is priced around $2500. Is that a good price for a quilting frame? It seems kind of high to me. How does this cost compare to the bigger frames? Do you have to buy the machine also with the bigger frames?

I have never used a long arm machine, but thought this might be a fairly inexpensive way to start since I can use a machine I already own. I would like to be able to quilt my smaller projects (less than twin size). The dealer does not have it in yet, but I do want to try it once she gets it in.
I would appreciate any opinions.
Georgia
Old 09-17-2015, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

In my opinion, the price is high. However, you do get a stitch regulator with it (not sure how good it is) that probably works only with specific Brother machines.

You can get this Hinty frame for about $800:
http://www.hinterberg.com/prod-Origi...g_Frame-5.aspx
It does not, however, have a stitch regulator.

You can use a regular domestic machine on a frame. It's not as convenient as using a machine made for frame quilting for several reasons: difficulty reaching the bobbin, small harp space, need to move the pedal around for larger quilts, cords getting in the way, etc. However, it can be done.

When buying a frame, the size of the carriage will determine what size machine you can use. The Brother frame and Hinty frame above will both probably handle only domestic size machines, which generally means a machine with a harp size of 9" or less. Hinty makes two other frames that can handle larger machines. The stretch Hinty is what I have for a Voyager 17 (17" harp size). It is one of very few frames that can handle the weight of the Voyager.

You can try out frame quilting with a domestic machine to see if you like moving the machine instead of the quilt. However, very quickly you will find out that a small harp size is very limiting in terms of what you can do, especially with quilts larger than baby size or lap size.

Edit: For about the same amount of money ($2,500 to $3,000) you may be able to find a Voyager 17/Hinterberg stretch frame setup that will give you a frame quilting experience that will be more valuable to you personally, and will also have better re-sale value if you decide you don't like it. There are a couple of online places where used machine/frame setups are listed for sale, plus some people find theirs via Craigslist or frame machine dealers (because people will trade in their low-end setup for something higher-end).

Edit 2: I took another look at the photos of the Brother frame. They seem to be using a machine with quite a large harp size. If you already have a Brother with a large harp, then I see the advantages of the Brother frame being (1) it comes with a stitch regulator, although many people do frame quilting without one, (2) it is small in terms of space requirements, and (3) because of the clamping it's possible to quilt a large quilt by moving the quilt around on the frame. Still wouldn't be my first choice for frame quilting, though.

Last edited by Prism99; 09-17-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:38 PM

You can get a queen size Grace frame for 1299.00 . I don't like the brother frame; it looks like a q-snap at a very high price. I would get a regular long arm if your going to spend that kind of money.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:37 PM

Way too expensive for this frame. For $4999 you can get a top of the line Steel Frame made by Grace Company from KathyQuilts.com and a wonderful Block RockIt Mid-Arm Machine. The frame is extremely sturdy and the mid-arm quilting machine is unbelievable. Built in stitch regulator and everything. I bought the machine and frame a year ago and I LOVE it.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:53 AM

You look like you are starting the way I did. I bought a Bernina frame (built by Grace Co.) when they first came out. I used my domestic machine on it. This was possible but not easy. You don't have much room between the needle and the motor casing (harp space) for the take up roller (the roller the quilt rolls on as you quilt) so your actually quilt space ends up being about 3"-4". When it was time for an upgrade I went with a Bernina machine with a larger harp space so that I now have about 9"-10" quilt space. I wish I had gone for something like Qnique made by Grace Company or Block RockIt but my husband thinks the sun rises and sets in Bernina machines and our budget would not stretch far enough for the new Bernina long arm - it would have required a new frame as well. I have no experience with the Brother Dream Frame but I suggest you do a LOT of research and, if possible, go to several quilt shops and dealers who sell long arm frames and see them in person. See if your local Brother dealer has a Dream Frame set up. Find out how hard/easy it is to load a quilt, how large a quilt it will take, what machines will work with it. Lots of luck.
One last thing - we paid $1800 for our Bernina frame and it's large enough to do a king size quilt! And it will take a long arm machine and, if we wanted, it can be converted to computer driven quilting. I can also use pantographs and grooved boards on it.

Last edited by alleyoop1; 09-18-2015 at 04:55 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:04 AM

I have an Imperial frame with a Baby Lock Jane machine. Not good. A regular sewing machine is just to small. It is on a carriage for an 18 in machine. I paid over $2000 for this setup.
Im looking at the Block Rocket machine for $3200.
Does anyone have this setup?

Last edited by Rose Marie; 09-18-2015 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:29 AM

I have had this setup since January and am very dissatisfied with it. My husband is on the phone with Brother at this moment trying to return this kit. I have several other Brother machines and am very satisfied but the kit is definitely not for a quilter!