Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about 50/50 Bamboo & Cotton Batting >

Question about 50/50 Bamboo & Cotton Batting

Question about 50/50 Bamboo & Cotton Batting

Old 12-06-2010, 12:13 AM
Gal

Today I purchased some beautifully soft batting from my local sewing shop, it is 50% cotton and 50% bamboo. It was made in the USA. It is hole punched and is almost 250cm wide.
I asked the sales person for more details about the product as this is the first time I have seen this in our local shops here in New Zealand, she said she thought she would try it in the shop just to see how it went but obviously they are not a quilting shop but they do sell some quilting products.
No where on the labeling or the info sheet which the sales lady let me read about the product, did it say about the washing instructions. What I want to know, is it pre-shrunk?
I am asuming that because it did not say so on the label that it is not pre-shrunk.
How would I wash this if I am to pre-shrink it, or would it all come apart once I put it into the water?
It feels so beautiful and I intend to use it for a hand quilted queensize bed quilt but do not want to mess up!
My local sewing shop had 25% off ($33NZ per mtr) in their sale which was the right time to purchase but now I get it home I am wondering how to prepare it. It did not even say on the label how close the quilting should be etc.
I am hoping some of you very experienced quilters might be able to give me some sound advice. I look forward to what you might have to say about this product, thank you in advance.

Gal
Old 12-06-2010, 12:37 AM

Hi Gal,
I've already used a batting 50/50 bamboo/cotton made by Pellon, the Legacy brand. It is very soft and cuddly.
As said on the lable the batting is not pre-shrunk and it can shrink - like cotton - 3-5%. It should be handled like a cotton batting and is completely washable.
For preshrinking the producer suggests to put it in the washer in warm water with no detergent, let it soak for 10 to 15 minutes and spin the water out on the lowest setting. It should not be agitated! It can be dried in the dryer on the low temperature for 10 to 15 minutes. Of course you can also air dry the batting.
I always use my battings without presoaking it, so what I wrote is what the producer indicates on the label. The batting hand quilts very easy and soft, drapes very nicely and I would compare it with a cotton batting.
Hope that helps!
Old 12-06-2010, 12:53 AM
Gal

Hi Borntoquilt, thankyou so much for your reply, I was just reading what you had said in another thread about the bamboo, I do not have a drier and my washing machine only has one spin cycle which seems too fast for such a delicate fibre, I was thinking of washing it by hand in the bath tub just in a folded state, then just pressing out the water by hand. I wash my pure wool blankets this way and they have stood the test of time. I was just worried about it all sticking together but I guess I could fold it in through a cotton sheet, that way I have only to unfold it after all the water is pressed from it.
I am feeling a little apprehensive about this washing/shrinking part but excited about using it in my quilt as it feels fabulous and I think just perfect for hand quilting.

Gal
Old 12-06-2010, 03:46 AM

I'm confused. Cotton or otherwise, I thought the whole point of NOT pre-shrinking the batting was to let the quilting show more prominently AFTER washing when the quilt is complete. 3% shrinkage seems fine.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

i have used this same batting in 3 different quilts in the past year...it is wonderful to work with...and i did not pre-shrink it...i have never pre-shrunk a batt and have never (quilting since 1976) had a problem with a quilt because i did not pre-shrink the batting...to me that is such a waste of my time. (just me)
the quilts i made with the bamboo/cotton blend batts have held up to numerous washings (teen's quilts) they have wonderful drape and were a joy to work on.