Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about applique >

Question about applique

Question about applique

Old 12-28-2007, 02:51 PM

One quick question about applique...is it better to match the sewing thread to the piece being applied, or is it better the match the sewing thread to the background fabric? THANKS!
Old 12-28-2007, 02:58 PM

I always match the piece I am appliqueing to the background...

I just re-read this thread... :oops: I MEANT to say....I always match the piece I am appliqueing to the THREAD! LOL Wouldn't make sense to put the same color of fabric on top and applique it to the same color background now would it!? LOL :lol:
Old 12-28-2007, 03:24 PM

most often i use the same color thread as the applique piece. but it does depend on the effect you want to get/create. most of the stitching will be on the applique piece, so that has always made sense to me
Old 12-28-2007, 03:52 PM

I match the thread to the applique piece. To me it is less noticeable this way. But that is just my preference.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:56 PM

I match my thread to the piece being appliqued.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:59 AM

QN
Thats totally up to you.If your doing hand applique, or machine applique, matching the applique piece seems to be the way to go, because the stitches don't show that much. But if your going to do satin stitch applique, this is where you can play. I just finished a 3 panel quilt that has snowmen. I used snow white fleece as my applique piece for my snowman, And the background piece I appliqued on is a print of snowflakes, in med blue and white. So I satin stitched the snowman in lite blue. It really came out nice and the snowman really pops. I make alot of novelty quilts and I use satin stitch on alot of things I do. The thread I choose plays a role in my design, and often can really enhance the piece. Sometimes think outside the box, you'll be surprised how it can add to a piece. Again it's your choice...........
Old 12-31-2007, 06:23 AM

If you use the method that I use, machine stitchng on top of the piece, match the thred to the piece. Otherwise in hand stitchng, match to background color. My hands can't do hand sttiching any more so I use fine fuse or wonder under or glue stick to hold things in place until I get it stitched down on the machine.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:02 AM

I'm learning hand applique........would love to hear from experienced hand appliquers on what thread and needles do you use.

thanks in advance
graperoof
Old 12-31-2007, 11:52 AM

Grapeproof
I hand and machine applique. On hand applique, I use the shortest needle, I can find, 8/9/10. I use cotton thread, the color of the background fabric I'm attacheing it to, I fuse all my applique pieces. I use the smallest, single thread stitch. I also machine applique, matching the thread to the background fabric. I also satin stitch applique, and thats a different animal, sorta speak. I sometimes use differnet color thread, seldom to match the background. Usually when I use satin stitch it's to enhance the piece, or the overall effect of the quilt. That is really a judgement call for the quilter. Unless your appliqueing Letters, then I will use the same color thread, as the letters to be attached. But it's really up to you. The Letters would pop more if you use maybe a different color thread to satin stitch. Again there are no rules. Only the artist's rule, which is (YOU).
Old 12-31-2007, 01:42 PM

i'm working on a fairy using the glue technique.........I'm using silk thread and straw needle..............my tools are working good its my poor eyes. I should have started this craft many years ago.

graperoof