Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question about bias >

question about bias

question about bias

Old 08-11-2010, 08:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by carol45
Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I think if I were making this purse I would sew my strips on a piece of cheap muslin as a foundation. It would be a little sturdier and have a little more body. Just a thought.
Do you think that would eliminate the stretching problem if I did have bias on the edges? My problem is that I will need a lot more fabric if I cut the strips along the edges.
I have never had any problem with stretching when I do them this way, but it was just a thought.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Power Poster

I've sewn unstarched bias strips together with no problem.

Of course, it helps if the fabric is relatively stable to begin with.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Power Poster

but will the edges tend to stretch after the bag is sewn together?
Not if the bag is lined.

I do think the best idea is to foundation-piece on thin muslin. The muslin would provide additional stability to the pieced fabric. I would still cut the strips on the straight-of-grain.

The easiest seams are straight-of-grain to straight-of-grain. Sewing straight-of-grain to bias is much trickier. Sewing bias to bias is just about impossible unless you heavily starch the fabric before cutting so the fabric has no chance to stretch out of shape when you sew the seam.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:35 PM

I agree with the idea of a foundation fabric for a base. This is one of those "form and function" things.

Your original question was about why you would cut on the bias. That question was answered.

Now if you want to know how to make this pattern for a purse. That is a different story. This is where function comes into play. Thickness and weight really aren't a problem in this case so sewing strips onto a foundation fabric can be your answer to solving your bias issues. I really am not sure you are going to save that much in fabric in the end (I didn't bother to plot this out and do the math).

Personally, I would go the foundation fabric route. Just my $0.04. (Prices are going up.)
Old 08-12-2010, 06:33 AM

The attached picture from EQ7 shows a design for a lined zippered bag that will be about 21" x 14", and will have the same piecing on both sides.
Can someone comment on if it makes a difference whether I cut the strips on the bias or straight of grain, and which would be preferable.
Thanks,
Carol
I made handbags for my granddaughters with jelly roll strips. I sewed the strips together, pressed seams to one side, then layed my pattern piece so the strips were at 45 degrees and cut them out, no starch, no backing, had no problem with stretching. Once you get the zipper & lining in there won't be any problem with stretching. Just pin often when inserting your zipper. I have posted this picture before, but you can get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-95788.jpe