Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question about birthing a quilt.

Question about birthing a quilt.

OK. The quilt is turned to the right side. How do I prepare it to be quilted. I don't care to tie it because it's for a baby. Don't want the itty bitty to be lying on knots and those sweet fingers grabbing the tie ends. I don't do FMQ so it will have to be SITD or crosshatched. Other option is using one of the tacking stitches on my machine. Thanks in advance.
    One step at a time, always forward.

smooth it out, fold the open edge seam allowance in, baste quilt with either needle & thread- long basting stitch, or with pins- quilt as desired, remove basting (thread or pins) sew (top stitch) 1/4" around the quilt (or wider If you want- as long as it closes the open edge.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

After closing the opeining with hand sewing, I usually press the outside seam to get a sharp edge and then sew about 1/2" away from the edge to make a faux binding. I pin baste the quilt. If it has borders I stitch in the ditch on those also before doing whatever quilting pattern I desire. Lots of mine are for donation so do crosshatch. It depends on if the blocks lend a space to have something else done.
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    try very hard to smooth it out to the edges and pin there. it must be as smooth as possible. usually a birthed quilt is tied because it's difficult to machine quilt without getting puckers, mainly at the edges. hand quilting might work better. Good luck.

I only do this when making a biscuit quilt. I haven't made any for a while. In the past I made 10 4 queen sized and a California long twin size. The rest were crib size. I find this method to be a PITA. Good like trying to quilt it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.