Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question about birthing a quilt.

Question about birthing a quilt.

OK. The quilt is turned to the right side. How do I prepare it to be quilted. I don't care to tie it because it's for a baby. Don't want the itty bitty to be lying on knots and those sweet fingers grabbing the tie ends. I don't do FMQ so it will have to be SITD or crosshatched. Other option is using one of the tacking stitches on my machine. Thanks in advance.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Northern Michigan
    Blog Entries
    smooth it out, fold the open edge seam allowance in, baste quilt with either needle & thread- long basting stitch, or with pins- quilt as desired, remove basting (thread or pins) sew (top stitch) 1/4" around the quilt (or wider If you want- as long as it closes the open edge.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Southern California
    After closing the opeining with hand sewing, I usually press the outside seam to get a sharp edge and then sew about 1/2" away from the edge to make a faux binding. I pin baste the quilt. If it has borders I stitch in the ditch on those also before doing whatever quilting pattern I desire. Lots of mine are for donation so do crosshatch. It depends on if the blocks lend a space to have something else done.

1,ooo miles from home
    Blog Entries
    try very hard to smooth it out to the edges and pin there. it must be as smooth as possible. usually a birthed quilt is tied because it's difficult to machine quilt without getting puckers, mainly at the edges. hand quilting might work better. Good luck.

Outside St. Louis
    I only do this when making a biscuit quilt. I haven't made any for a while. In the past I made 10 4 queen sized and a California long twin size. The rest were crib size. I find this method to be a PITA. Good like trying to quilt it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.