Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about bleeding FABRIC

Did I read somewhere that there is something that you put in the washer with the quilt to keep the colors from running when washing for the first time? I usually prewash to avoid this but I have a quilt that is made from fabric that wasn't prewashed. Is there a trick (or two) I should know about?

I have heard of some "color-magnet" sheets that you can buy in the laundry department of the grocery store - maybe at Target or WalMart too. I haven't tried them, but I seem to remember there was a post about them somewhere..... :-)

egads... worked in medicine too long hahahhaa.... thought you had cut yourself sewing :):):):) phew..... to the real question.... I read on the board that there is a product at Walmart that holds the color... can't remember the name but was said its in the laundry soap aisle. I'll put the band-aids away now :):)

Sorry for the fright Cathy! So far I'm fine-have heard horror stories about the rotary cutting accidents though. Eeek!
    I'm changing the subject line. :lol:

SC Johnson makes Shout Color Catchers. Sheets you throw in the wash to catch any loose dyes. I have never used them to know how well they really work. Hope this helps. There are probably other companies that make a product like this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineD
    SC Johnson makes Shout Color Catchers. Sheets .
    That is what I use, It looks like a smallish terry washcloth, and really traps the dye - supposed to be good for 30 loads. Anyone who thinks modern dyes don't bleed has never seen the crap that comes off on these! Look around - I can usually find dollar off coupons.

Mine are by OxiClean Colour Catcher....20 sheets...hmmmm....the box says made in Ireland for....20/20 Direct, Mississauga, Ontario.....I bought these at Walmart in Canada.........they are similar to the dryer sheets, not terry. I usually rip one in rather than use the whole sheet at one time. It is amazing how much dye does catch on them. When I purchase fabric I always soak it in the sink in HOT water....to get most of the excess dye out & then use this sheet when I wash the finished quilt.......it was a LIVE & LEARN problem for me :shock:

I use the color catchers all the time. They work great and I buy them at my local grocery store. In the laundry isle. Marge

I have used color catchers and they do work.

I used them tonight and the quilt came out fine. I am going to post pictures.

Janstar-You have a Bichon! We had one-he was really sweet.
    My brother called ihim a Bitchin Frizzy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast