Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about changing from fleece to minky type fabric >

Question about changing from fleece to minky type fabric

Question about changing from fleece to minky type fabric

Old 09-24-2014, 09:45 AM

Default Question about changing from fleece to minky type fabric

Hi

I bought a book (No-Sew Fleece Throws & Pillows) which has beautiful blankets and throws, but instead i have a good amount of minky of different feel to them (some thicker than others). Can i use them instead? would i have problems cutting the strips on minky fabrics? will the blankets have the same look to them like fleece?
Here is the link for the book so you can see the look of the blankets and understand what i need:

http://www.amazon.com/No-Sew-Fleece-...s+and+pilllows

Thanks for any feedback and please if anyone one used minky to do something similar to post a pic.

Thanks a lot
Old 09-24-2014, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

Minky sheds like crazy! Any cut edge will shed, ravel, make quite a mess. I love using minky for quilt backs, I tend to purchase exactly what I need, if I need to piece my backing I purchase the needed amount in 2 lengths ( like if I need 6 yards for 2 (3yard pieces I buy the 2 - 3yard pieces - then when it arrives I open the carton outside & shake the crap out of each piece before entering the house, & I avoid having to cut the fabric. If you do have to cut it you want to have a lint roller with lots of sheets handy
Old 09-24-2014, 10:29 AM

Default Feece or minky

I think the problem you would have is that fleece and minky are two different animals. Minky is only soft and fuzzy on one side. It has a slick backing that has a totally different texture than the front. I would think that the only way you could try and duplicate the projects you are interested in is to sew the minky together envelope style to create an item that was soft and fuzzy on both sides. It would probably end up to heavy and bulky. It is also a lot more expensive than fleece.

Originally Posted by Charming View Post
Hi

I bought a book (No-Sew Fleece Throws & Pillows) which has beautiful blankets and throws, but instead i have a good amount of minky of different feel to them (some thicker than others). Can i use them instead? would i have problems cutting the strips on minky fabrics? will the blankets have the same look to them like fleece?
Here is the link for the book so you can see the look of the blankets and understand what i need:

http://www.amazon.com/No-Sew-Fleece-...s+and+pilllows

Thanks for any feedback and please if anyone one used minky to do something similar to post a pic.

Thanks a lot
Old 09-24-2014, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
Minky sheds like crazy! Any cut edge will shed, ravel, make quite a mess. I love using minky for quilt backs, I tend to purchase exactly what I need, if I need to piece my backing I purchase the needed amount in 2 lengths ( like if I need 6 yards for 2 (3yard pieces I buy the 2 - 3yard pieces - then when it arrives I open the carton outside & shake the crap out of each piece before entering the house, & I avoid having to cut the fabric. If you do have to cut it you want to have a lint roller with lots of sheets handy
what she said... minky is messy stuff to deal with
Old 09-24-2014, 01:52 PM

Minky is also very stretchy and hard to sew 2 pieces together. Fleese is a little more stable, but both make very thick seams. Very hard to work with IMHO.
Sue
Old 09-24-2014, 01:56 PM
Power Poster

I agree with all the comments above. Minky is a very messy and stretchy fabric. Fleece is not.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:41 AM

Thank you so much all. I kind of had an idea of the issues i will have with Minky but just needed confirmation from people who tried it. Now i know i should just stick to fleece and save my self the frustration.

Thanks again :-)