Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about charge for LA quilting >

Question about charge for LA quilting

Question about charge for LA quilting

Old 08-15-2011, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

I have been taking all of my quilts to the same LA'r since I started quilting. I've never asked what the charge will be when discussing how I want it done (I know that was my first big mistake). I've had a couple of queen size quilts done that cost $210 and $120 to quilt (the one for $210 was custom - they said). Well I did my first king size quilt (104 x 114) and when I took it in I talked to one owner about what I wanted and the other owner is the one who quilted it. I'm so upset over how it was quilted. I had asked that the pinwheels not be quilted all over only a stitch in the ditch so they would pop and not to do any heavy stitching so the quilt wouldn't be hard. We settled on a design for the borders and I said I would leave the rest (sashing and background of blocks to their creative eye. Well I was called on Thursday about the quilting and was told on Saturday it was ready (I was shocked that it was done!). This is what I got for $350 - the pinwheels have been outlined 1/4" on the inside and 1/4" on the outside of each blade - a circle in each setting corner stone of the sashing - what I call DNA quilting on the inner border - and the design I chose for the outer border. I was so shocked I couldn't find any words to say so I took it home. My husband was anxious to see it and asked before I could get it unfolded how I liked it; I didn't answer just unfolded it and let him see. I wanted to see if his reaction was the same as mine - it was. I called and told her I was not happy and said what I had wanted. My husband took it back to them right then (I couldn't go because I knew I would cry). This quilt meant so much to me and I feel it's ruined because it's not going to look right on the back when they do the stitch-in-the-ditch because of the way they stitched the 1/4" inside and out. After setting here typing all this out I know what I must do. I'm going to call and tell her not to do anything until I come back in and talk to her about what we can do to fix this. My question is do you think for the amount of "custom"quilting (their words), that I was charge fairly?

After typing all of this out I knew what I needed to do. I called her and she said she had been thinking about it also. She want's to echo the line further into the pinwheels (this is exactly what I did NOT want in the first place). I told her not to do anything and I would come back to the shop later in the week (I've got to have more time to compose myself) and we will go over what can be done it fix it. Because the background and backing fabric has these "embossed like" dots I'm afraid the stitching cannot be removed without it messing up the fabric. I'm going to experiment with this from some leftovers to see if that's true before I go back; if it works out OK I may have the stitching around the pinwheels removed.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:51 AM

That seems really high to me. Why don't you look into using one of the wonderful LAQ's that show their work on this board. I think you will find their prices much more reasonable.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:54 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

It sure sounds like a lot of money to me, and especially when they didn't do what you asked. For that price, they should rip out the stitching on the pinwheels and do what you asked.

Yours is not the first post I've read like this. If I ever have a quilt LA'd, unless it's someone whose work I know from this board, I'm going to sketch what I want, and have them sign it.

good luck, and don't back down. Your quilt deserves better, and so do you.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:00 AM
Banned

Any chance you could still get the fabric and replace the quilt. I know it sounds crazy but I have had to do that. I FMQ on a frame with a juki - no where near what a LA has but I only do for local friends. I misunderstood what one of the ladies wanted last month and she really wasn't happy. She thought it looked nice just wasn't what she wanted. I gave her the option of paying her for it, remaking it or whatever she felt was fair. SHe came back 2 days later with the pattern and almost identical fabric. I remade the top for her. I know it's not the same as if you made it yourself but maybe they could at least offer something similar. She still paid to have the one top quilted and allowed me to keep the original one.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

I am so sorry you are unhappy with your quilt. I hope you can get it fixed to your satisfaction. I would expect any LA'er to give a written estimate up front, and that the estimate would have all the notes as to what would be done for that price. However, since they didn't, and you didn't ask for one, that muddies the water considerably. From what you describe, it doesn't sound like it should have cost that much, but I don't know what the going rate is in your area. It may be that they charge so much per inch for custom quilting, and don't factor in how much actual quilting was done. It does seem like a huge jump from $210 for a queen to $350 for a king - that's a 66% jump, and a king isn't 66% larger than a queen. It will be interesting to see what they tell you when you go in to talk about it. Perhaps they just made a mistake in the pricing? Hopefully it wil all be resolved to your satisfaction, so go in with the attitude that it all can be worked out.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

I feel really bad for you. Not only is the price outlandish but it's not what you wanted. :(
I hope they make it right for you.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

The charge was 3 cents per inch, which is not high in some areas for custom work. However it doesn't seem to be in line with the previous prices paid. You didn't mention whether they supplied batting or other services, which can also add to the price.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
I am so sorry you are unhappy with your quilt. I hope you can get it fixed to your satisfaction. I would expect any LA'er to give a written estimate up front, and that the estimate would have all the notes as to what would be done for that price. However, since they didn't, and you didn't ask for one, that muddies the water considerably. From what you describe, it doesn't sound like it should have cost that much, but I don't know what the going rate is in your area. It may be that they charge so much per inch for custom quilting, and don't factor in how much actual quilting was done. It does seem like a huge jump from $210 for a queen to $350 for a king - that's a 66% jump, and a king isn't 66% larger than a queen. It will be interesting to see what they tell you when you go in to talk about it. Perhaps they just made a mistake in the pricing? Hopefully it wil all be resolved to your satisfaction, so go in with the attitude that it all can be worked out.
I agree with what was said about the details not written down and a firm understanding. The price of $350 works out to be slightly under 3 cents per square inch, and may be less if they also charge for batting, needle and thread separately. The 2.5-3 cents for custom work is about the going rate. My quilter (before I bought a longarm) charges 3.5 cents per square inch and that is why I have never had a custom quilt. So sorry about your disappointment, I have had quilts I've had to fight not crying over.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

Sorry for the dissapointment. That seems high to me.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:27 AM

You're right - you should have asked about the price going in, but I understand why you didn't, based on your past experience. I don't feel 3 cents per square inch is too high for custom quilting, particularly if they supply the batting and thread (you didn't say whether they do or not).

However, they did NOT do what you asked, and that is unacceptable. In that case, I would expect them to remove the stitching in those areas and re-quilt it, particularly if your instructions were in writing.

If you had given them the freedom to do whatever they wanted and you simply didn't like it, that would be a different story. In that case, they might offer to re-quilt it (although they really wouldn't be obligated to), but only if you removed all the quilting first.

I hope you can get it worked out with the quilter - I'm sure she feels bad about it too (we don't know what happened on their end to create the misunderstanding). Let us know how it all works out.