Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about copyright >

Question about copyright

Question about copyright

Old 04-08-2012, 10:14 PM
QM
Power Poster

Simple patterns are generally also public domain, having been designed a century or more ago. If you invest in something like Barbara Brackman's Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns, you will find that most of the patterns in quilting magazines are really the same old things. If you are hunting for free well written patterns, there are lots of sites allowing you to download without cost. I like www.quilterscache.com There are lots of patterns posted here that are available. If you are not sure, you can PM the person who posted it.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by QM View Post
Simple patterns are generally also public domain, having been designed a century or more ago. If you invest in something like Barbara Brackman's Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns, you will find that most of the patterns in quilting magazines are really the same old things. If you are hunting for free well written patterns, there are lots of sites allowing you to download without cost. I like www.quilterscache.com There are lots of patterns posted here that are available. If you are not sure, you can PM the person who posted it.
Thanks for the help QM but the pattern isn't a quilt pattern just one I would like to make into a quilt, it has cubes in it, and I love the 3D effect of cubes but is nothing like any quilt I have ever seen. Unfortunately I can't find who designed it.
I think most everyone has given me great advice. I am only starting to think about quilt shows so I just wanted to make sure that what I wanted to do wasn't against the rules.

Thanks for the the name of the quilt book, I will keep an eye out for it
Old 04-09-2012, 04:30 AM

Woody, good luck making the quilt. I think asking your guild is an excellent idea.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:16 AM
Banned

I find it both difficult in some cases and impossible to give even an opinion about such an open ended question.
If the design is everywhere on the internet it should at least be pictured here so we can see what is being asked about. Post a picture and perhaps someone will have an informed answer

Last edited by Holice; 04-09-2012 at 05:18 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:27 AM

my understanding is traditional blocks cannot be copyrighted. Like Triple Rail, for example
Old 04-09-2012, 01:37 PM

This is the picture I am talking about [ATTACH=CONFIG]326575[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails opus1.jpg  
Old 04-09-2012, 01:44 PM

Looks like something from MC Escher.......he was big on optical illusions.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Power Poster

That makes my eyes hurt. LOL
Old 04-09-2012, 02:35 PM

That's the Penrose Triangle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penrose_triangle
Pretty old in design. Still, the only one that would get you is the original designer, a mathematician, and I don't think he cares.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

if the design is 'royalty free' you can use it - you could include the source of the design on your label- there are tons of 'copy-right free' designs out there---and geometric shapes are something that would be difficult for someone to (claim) as their own---when copyright restrictions come into play is when you are copying a commercial pattern and trying to claim it as your own.
if using someone elses design you should always contact the designer and ask permission-
but even copyrighted designs can be used without permission if the designer is marketing it for public use-...it would be (against the rules) for you to use it commercially---as in offering the design for sale somewhere.