Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about cotton thread >

Question about cotton thread

Question about cotton thread

Old 10-15-2014, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

Default Question about cotton thread

Back when I was learning to sew - when the dinosaurs still roamed the earth - 1950s - we looked for "mercerized" sewing thread - instead of just plain old cotton thread - because we thought it was more shrink resistant than "ordinary" sewing thread. At that time, cotton and silk were probably the main options.

Does cotton thread used for sewing shrink?
Old 10-15-2014, 11:52 AM

Interesting question! I believe it will. I just finished quilting some placemats with cotton thread and I will see what the stitches look like after I wash them.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:44 PM

Most cotton threads sold today are mercerized, but that process has little, if anything, to do with shrinking. It's a chemical and heat process that increases the luster of the thread by burning off the fuzzy ends of the fibers thus giving it a smoother, more reflective, surface. Mercerization also increases the water absorbancy of thread making it easier to dye.

According to the majority of thread manufacturers websites, yes, cotton thread shrinks and, no, not enough to give any reason for concern.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

I am not certain. With so many new updated processing of threads now a days, the threads available to us are not like the ones our mothers used.

I was told by my Bernina dealership that I should use Mettler silk wrapped cotton thread. I have never had any problem with using that thread.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:54 PM

My rule is: try to tear a piece of thread off the spool and if it tears too easily, I mark the spool and do not use it, no matter what price I paid for it. If I would use this "bad thread" in a quilt, and after it is finished and on the bed, if my hubby laid down on it, and his elbow separated the seam, I would be mad at myself. I try every spool. I have been married 52 years and my DWR my Grandma made me is still in tact, and it has been washed many times, but never dried in the dryer, always out on the line. Someone a while back tried this, I believe at a quilt show, and the thread tore and the vender could not believe it.