Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A question about crumb quilts >

A question about crumb quilts

A question about crumb quilts

Old 11-24-2009, 03:04 PM

I suppose I should go read over all the stuff I printed off on crumb quilts, but this just occurred to me - I've washed and am ironing (and starching) all my scraps and pieces - hopefully later I'll get to start sewing. So then I get this big irregular piece ----- how do I cut a square out of it? Do I just use my big ruler or is there a square template for this sort of thing? And what size should I make it? Is there some standard?
Old 11-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Power Poster

Well, I would say that you can use any sized square that you would like... some quilts a 12" others you may want a 4 inch block...it is whatever size would work best with what you have in mind.
You cut them according to what looks good with your eyes...rotate the ruler back and forth and find the place that looks good to you.

I would think that you could take scrappy one step further by cutting your block diagonally and then sewing the diagonals together... or cut them into rectangles to use as is, or sewn together... Cut them into 4 patches... In diagonals with a solid fabric.... Whatever and wherever your imagination takes you :wink:

Take the scraps and sew them into smaller blocks for the border???
Old 11-24-2009, 03:36 PM

Well, so far, in my little brain, I am thinking that even though I like asymmetrical, it may be too busy/confusing for me without being separated with strips of fabric.... sorry, I don't know the terms yet. I guess I'll just start sewing and see what size looks best!
Old 11-24-2009, 03:39 PM
Power Poster

You could start with center shapes and stitch your strips around them, log cabin kinda style.. Squares, rectangles, triangles, or odder shapes like a square with a corner cut off...etc... Then you would have some variety but symmetry as well.