Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about enlarging a patteren

Blog Entries

Question about enlarging a patteren

The block of the day "Puzzles" is just 1/2 square triangles. It calls for 2 7/8 squares. The finished block is 6 inch square. Can I enlarge it by doubling it. I.E. starting with 5 and 7/8 squares. Can I do it with 6 inch squares or even 5 inch. I know it changes the size of my block and the size of the finished product but is there any reason it won't work??? I know someone knows the answer. I suppose it is a silly question and maybe I will just have to "try it"
    Thanks
    Never look down at anyone
    Unless you are helping them up!!
    http://tickers.myfitnesspal.com/tick...11/7407711.png

Do you have a link to the finished design? Hard to tell otherwise.

piney

Blog Entries

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Love, if you use 5 & 7/8" squares you will have HUGE block....about 15" square. Doubling the size of the segments actually almost quadruples the size of the block.

Why not try 3 and 7/8" squares or even just use 4 & 1/2" squares and trim to a common size - such as 3 & 1/2" after you've made them all. That would give you a 9" finished block which wouldn't overwhelm your quilt.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Love, if you use 5 & 7/8" squares you will have HUGE block....about 15" square. Doubling the size of the segments actually almost quadruples the size of the block.

Why not try 3 and 7/8" squares or even just use 4 & 1/2" squares and trim to a common size - such as 3 & 1/2" after you've made them all. That would give you a 9" finished block which wouldn't overwhelm your quilt.

Jan in VA

THANK YOU so much. See in my brain if I doubled it then I would have a 12 in block!!! I was thinking 3 and1/2 was what I would like to do but wondered if it would be OK Somehow doubling seemed like it would be better. You are the best!! Someday if I do think long enough it will sink in!! LOL

The 2 7/8" squares result in HST's that are 2" finished, and the finished block is 6" finished. If you want a 12" block, you need each HST to be 4" finished, so you need to cut the squares at 4 7/8". (Actually you may want to cut them at 5" and trim down.) You are indeed doubling each finished HST size, but you are first subtracting the 7/8" and then adding it back in after doubling.

Blog Entries
    Love, if you use 5 & 7/8" squares you will have HUGE block....about 15" square
    I think we should give Jan a new name. How about SuperJan?

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    GrandmaK, I'm delighted to have been able to help you "see" the problem, LOL! And I thank you and Peggi for your compliments.

Long ago I actually developed a teaching tool for showing this principal in my classes.... by making a 4 patch of rail fence blocks, four different sizes, just by increasing the cuts 1/4"-1/2" at a time. That visual usually produces quite an "aha" moment. Guess it shows, I LOVE to teach!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    I think we should give Jan a new name. How about SuperJan?
    here here!! Absolutely.

Blog Entries
    Now another question. Can I make the 1/2 square triangles the "square way" by putting 2 squares together and sewing on each side of a drawn diagonal line?? I mean the pattern is in the placement isn't it or am I missing something again?? The tip about removing the 7/8th before adding and then add back in was very helpful.

GrandmaK, I'm delighted to have been able to help you "see" the problem, LOL! And I thank you and Peggi for your compliments.

Long ago I actually developed a teaching tool for showing this principal in my classes.... by making a 4 patch of rail fence blocks, four different sizes, just by increasing the cuts 1/4"-1/2" at a time. That visual usually produces quite an "aha" moment. Guess it shows, I LOVE to teach!

Jan in VA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast