Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about Flannel

I have never used flannel before and I recently got some off of a lady on craigslist. It smells slightly of smoke, can I wash it before i use it?

Blog Entries
    You MUST wash flannel before use. It shrinks like crazy. Measure it, wash, dry measure it again and wash and dry it again and re-measure. It may take several wash dry cycles before it stops shrinking. It will be very soft and cuddly when you are done.

Blog Entries
    By all means WASH IT. It can shrink 2-6 inches a yard. I made an ankle length nightgown of unwashed flannel. It shrank so much it was calf length after I washed it. Now I buy extra.

Also tends to fray in the wash. I serge the cut edges before I wash. If you don't have a serger, you can use a zigzag stitch close to the edge.

Sorry, double post.

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    You MUST wash flannel before use. It shrinks like crazy. Measure it, wash, dry measure it again and wash and dry it again and re-measure. It may take several wash dry cycles before it stops shrinking. It will be very soft and cuddly when you are done.
    I agree. Learned this the hard way.

small town between Baltimore/Annapolis MD
    OH DEAR! I may be in for trouble!! I'm a newbie and didn't know about washing flannel BEFORE making a quilt. I'm just finishing a rag quilt and the back is 14" squares of flannel. OMGosh - this should be interesting. I wonder if I just wasted a lot of time and fabric?!

Blog Entries
    You may have made your 1st truely wonky quilt. Someone will love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by carolynbb
    OH DEAR! I may be in for trouble!! I'm a newbie and didn't know about washing flannel BEFORE making a quilt. I'm just finishing a rag quilt and the back is 14" squares of flannel. OMGosh - this should be interesting. I wonder if I just wasted a lot of time and fabric?!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carolynbb
    When I make flannel rag quilts, I don't prewash my flannel. I do use flannel on both sides though.

Blog Entries
    glad Iv read this post I just got alot of flannel from a friend, I'll make sure to get it washed tomorrow before I start playing with it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast