Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Question about flying geese

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I don't like flying geese. I get them wrong all the time. I finally had to do the one where you make one seam. It works great but then I have to sew down the middle section on each goose. Lots of extra work. But it's the only thing that works for me. I haven't tried the method you are trying. I love stars so much that I would love a fool proof method of making flying geese. I've asked this question about how to make them without losing your points. And the 1 seam method was the one that worked.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I also hate flying geese, but I keep making quilts that involve them. Even when I do get the points "perfect," the seams are bulky to get to lay flat and SID quilting gets wonky. I've decided if the fabric is interesting enough, no one will look too closely at the points!
    Fay

Wanted: a job that involves raising cats, riding motorcycles and creating quilts!

Check out this link. I haven't tried it yet but it looks fun.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78Mu0C_QL8Y

Blog Entries
    I paperpiece the flying geese. And to keep them all "Pointy", before I start I decide how long the piece needs to be, use my copier to make multiple copies, tape them together and GO GO GO. You can use a word processing program to print and size the geese to the dimensions you want. Just use the draw / symbol feature, select triangles, make them the desired size. Then copy and paste them on top of each other, until you have exactly what you want.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
    If you use the ruler and cut where it says you will get a perfect 1/4 in. Check your sewing line is it to wide?
    The ruler has the ^ shape to line up on your goose and the cutting line is 1/4 inch above the ^ shape.
    This advice looks right. I used the rulers a few years back and it was wonderful, as all the points were "just right." Good luck. Did the rulers come with a set of directions? Sometimes I have to reread directions several times before I "get it."

If you go on the 'Quilt in a Day' website, they show how to properly use the ruler. As was suggested earlier, put the dotted line (seam line marker) right on top of your stitching line. This allows for the thread loss when you press the piece open. One other thing that can make the piece a thread smaller is the thread you are using. This is why, by placing the ruler sitting on your stitching line, you should come out with a block that is the correct size.
    Charlie

Missouri Star Quilt Company has a great video on YouTube showing how to use the "Quilt In A Day" Rulers.

Quote Originally Posted by HoneysMom View Post
    Missouri Star Quilt Company has a great video on YouTube showing how to use the "Quilt In A Day" Rulers.
    HoneysMom ~ You are so right Jenny at Missouri Star Quilt Company demonstrates the flying geese Quilt-in-a-Day ruler so wonderfully! MSQ tutorials are addictive! :0) Here's a quick link to the flying geese Eleanor Burns way...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKfM3...SgJbHoFIruY%3D
    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

"What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

Quote Originally Posted by acjacques View Post
    If you sign up with "Quilt with Us" on ConnectingThreads, there is a group lesson going on how to make Perfect Points - these include flying geese, square in a square, half-square triangles.
    Thank you for the "Quilt With Us" reference, I hadn't found that, great instructions.

Marysewfun
    Marysewfun
    Have a great day!

Quote Originally Posted by nannyrick.com View Post
    I,m trying to make flying geese. I,m using the "Quilt in a day Ruler" and eveything is going fine until I sew them together. If I use a quarter inch seam, it cuts off the point. If I go less, it is ok.
    Should this be happening?
    Thanks for your input.
    Elaine
    Go to Eleanor Burn's website...she has a video that shows you how to use her rulers...
    Kitty

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast