Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question about French Braid

I am wanting to make a quilt for my grandparents for all the work they did to come to my college graduation. I was thinking of doing the French Braid pattern. I have two jelly rolls I purchased from connecting threads (seaside samplers) and each one has 24 strips. Will this be enough to make a queen size quilt? I am considering adding some type of sashing in between the braids and borders. I have not made a quilt from this pattern yet.

Also, I'm not sure I will be able to grade the whole braid like the ones I've seen on the board (from light to dark). If the v's were in random order would it look okay (i.e. blue, tan, green, blue, etc.)?

Thanks for the help.

RST
    Blog Entries
    48 strips (2.5 inches, yes?) will not be enough for a queen sized quilt. You could supplement with additional yardage, or you could make a nice sized throw with what you have.

RST

I don't think it's quite enough. I made one with 40 strips with a 6.5" border
    (no sashing) and the finished size was 56 x 63.

Thank you for the replies!

Blog Entries
    you would have to make the braids and also put wide strips of other fabric(s).