Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about fusible applique product. >

Question about fusible applique product.

Question about fusible applique product.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:23 AM

Default Question about fusible applique product.

Does anyone know how to restore the sticky-ness of fusible web products. I have some Steam-A-Seam that was stored in a plastic bag but the seal wasn't good. The paper has come loose from the web of glue and won't stay together very well. Does anyone know how to restore the moisture to these products. I tried putting a damp paper towel in the bag and sealing if for several days. So far, it hasn't helped. Any ideas?? I e-mailed The Warm Company with this question two times now but have not heard back from them. I hope that someone on the QB has run into this problem before and might have a solution. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:34 AM

I would iron the paper onto the glue using a pressing sheet..worth a try anyway. good luck
Old 04-06-2013, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by kat13 View Post
I would iron the paper onto the glue using a pressing sheet..worth a try anyway. good luck
Put wax paper to iron on so you don't end up with glue on your iron!!!!! Don't ask me how I know....
Old 04-06-2013, 11:31 AM

I don't use that product, but with the heat'n bond lite, I put it into the freezer for a few days & it seemed to help. But if you've had moisture already in there with no results, I doubt the freezer would help. That's why I don't like that product, it kept separating on me.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:55 AM

With Wonder Under, I simply re-attach the web to the release paper by pressing it but it's not intended to be sticky like Steam-a-Seam. I doubt if that would work with Steam-a-Seam since it's meant to be repositionable and tacky. I stopped using it long ago because it wasn't at all reliable for me. Not much help, sorry.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

if you have an applique pressing sheet (or some left over release paper from some fusable) you can lay your product fusable side down on the pressing sheet, then using a medium heat iron press the backing to the fusable- let it cool completely then peel off the pressing sheet. i *would not use wax paper* it would put a waxy residue on the fusable and chances are the fusable would no longer adhere.
i often keep sheets of (release paper) after using a fusable- if i didn't cut out shapes and have a fairly large piece- i just fold it up & put it aside-so if i need it i have it- sometimes fusables just *let loose* of their release paper & i might have to fix it- but if i don't have any handy i've used my applique pressing sheet many times- just make sure you let it cool, then carefully lift/peel the fusable and it's paper back off the sheet
Old 04-07-2013, 05:10 AM

Parchment paper serves the same purpose as release paper if you have none.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:09 AM

You can try using the applique pressing sheet. Once the plastic has released from the paper, it is difficult to use. That is why I usually only buy a smaller amount at a time so that doesn't happen. I don't have that problem with Heat and Bond lite, but any other brand seems to release after time.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:40 AM

The Warm Company will be releasing the New & Improved Steam-a-Seam product line - same great product with new release paper. Like the Warm Company on Facebook and complete the entry form to win a 12", 18" or 24" by 25 yd bolt of New Lite Steam-A-Seam 2! It's the Steam-A-Seam Give-A-Way contest!

The new release paper will solve all Steam-a-Seam's old issues such as delamination.