Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about groups >

Question about groups

Question about groups

Old 08-25-2014, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by calla View Post
Well, $7.00 is steep for me, because I can go to JA work on Project Linus and be social. And would it be during open hours of the shop?
Yes the shop is open. You have to understand living in a really small town to appreciate the concept here. This shop hasn't been open a month and all I'm trying to do is help her build a business. If you turn people off with too high a fee I'm afraid they won't be willing to even come in and shop. I was curious to see what others think so I could go back to her with suggestions. I would rather sew at home and might take crocheting there to work on. But I won't pay the $7 to do a social 3 hours with my own project and supplies.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:44 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

My LQS is open to anyone every Wednesday afternoon for free.she supplies coffee and tap water for us. We bring our own sewing machines but she has an iron and cutting board plus two sewing machines.

We we tend to buy fabric and supplies from her shop, so she usually ends up with a wad of cash at the end of the day.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:19 AM

A few of our local AQS shops have "sew in's" like you describe. One charges $7.00 and the other $10.00. I've never attended either so I don't know if the shop is "open" for business. I know both have several ironing boards for group use as well as large work tables to spread out on (in addition to the tables they are working at).

I think a bonus to a sew-in would be that the shop be open for business ... at least to those joining the sew in. Someone may need thread, a ruler, a fat quarter ... whatever. Why not open the cash register and make a sale too?
Old 08-25-2014, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by athomenow View Post
My only thought was that if you are trying to get a small business going in a not very affluent small town it might be wise to entice people into your shop with a social gathering at little to no cost.
I think this clarifies things quite alot. If her aim is to get people into the shop to get acquainted, I would definitely not charge them to come. I'm trying to imagine my reaction if I received an invitation that said, 'Welcome, come in and get acquainted, only $7!'

On the other hand, if she were an established shop and were offering her space to established customers as a service, then charging them a nominal fee to cover the cost makes more sense.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

I go to the senior center every Wednesday for a quilter's group meeting. Dues are $3 a year. No food served but just a really nice socializing with other quilters. I would start it out as free with no food. Most people will want something for the $7. Don't forget, there are still a lot of unemployed people in this country. Times are still tough for some.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:06 PM

I think $7.00 is fair. You are using the shop's space. Our LQS charges $40 for the finish-it type workshops. There is a teacher on hand, but not a specific lesson. That is too steep for me. I would happily pay 5-10.

Cheers, K
Old 08-25-2014, 01:24 PM

Hi Debra,

I agree with you. This is a newly opened shop trying to build a business. From a marketing standpoint, I would call these open houses and send out a flyer encouraging people to come for an evening to see what the business has to offer and to let the shop know what they (potential customers) are interested in. I would probably host them that way for the first six months to a year and hope that by then the shop has built a clientele. I do think it's off-putting to charge for such an event, food or no food. It's like having a house warming party and charging a fee.

Just my two cents as a small business owner!

Lynda
Old 08-25-2014, 01:43 PM

If it's during shop hours, I'd do away with the food and make it a free event. The shop owner can have bottled water and coffee (a Keurig with an assortment of K-cups would be great in this instance) and perhaps pre-packaged snacks (pretzels or crackers, granola bars, cookies) available for purchase at a modest price.

You want to encourage people to come into the shop, see what's available, and hopefully purchase something and spread the word.

Now, if people start wanting to use the shop's sewing machines or ironing boards, they should be charged a set fee for doing so.

Hope this helps, and best of luck to your friend on her new venture!
Old 08-25-2014, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by athomenow View Post
Yes the shop is open. You have to understand living in a really small town to appreciate the concept here. This shop hasn't been open a month and all I'm trying to do is help her build a business. If you turn people off with too high a fee I'm afraid they won't be willing to even come in and shop. I was curious to see what others think so I could go back to her with suggestions. I would rather sew at home and might take crocheting there to work on. But I won't pay the $7 to do a social 3 hours with my own project and supplies.
I live in a small town rural area too - and I agree that if the goal is to get people to stop in and shop, she should ditch the food. Suggest a plate of cookies and veggies and bottled water and no charge to visit.
If the idea takes off and people want to expand, that is the time to discuss fees and food more than a snack.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:22 PM

It is a conundrum. Needing to get folks in, but also needing to make money.

I just checked the two closest shops. One offers open sewing for six hours mid day twice a month for $5. No food or instruction/assistance/demo is offered.

The second shop, which opened a few weeks ago, offers open sewing once a month from 6 PM to midnight and charges $15 for pizza and soda; snacks and dessert may be brought in to share. Although there is no formal instruction or demo, "an experienced quilter will be on hand."

The second shop also offers a once a month gathering for socializing and show and tell, no sewing involved. May include a demo of a technique or tool. As this shop's owner still works a full-time job, this is also held in the evening. Door prizes will be given; if you bring in show and tell you get extra chances for the door prize. These sessions cost $5/month.

Personally, I'm more likely to spend the money for time dedicated to sewing, understanding that there will also be socializing involved.

While I realize you were looking for feedback to specifically help this owner increase traffic, other options for people who want to sew without paying include sewing bees/small groups in your home, library or community center. When groups are working on community service projects - quilts or lap quilts for the needy, pillow cases for children, etc., public spaces are often willing to let groups come in during hours that they are open at no charge. Our guild also has a sewing day once/month that there is no charge for other than what is paid to the church for use of their all for our guild meetings.