Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about hand applique

I've done applique a few times, just kind of incidental and not as the main work on a quilt. I wonder... is there a specific type of thread that is best to use? I'll be doing the tiny hidden stitches, not a blanket stitch or decorative.

I use Mettler Silk Finish 50/3 in the color to match the applique. Alot of people like the YLI silk #100. I haven't had any problems with the mettler. I like it.

Use a thread that's fine (finer than all-purpose sewing thread), in a color to match the applique.

Thanks, I'll look for it (bringing the fabric with me to match).

A couple of helpful hints for you. Try to match your thread to your fabric in natural light if you can. Unwind a bit of the thread and lay it across the fabric you'd like to match and you'll get a better idea of how invisible it'll be as a single thread rather than a solid spool of color.

I use Gutterman or Prescia. I did sit in a restoration of old quilts and they say to use silk to repair old quilts but did not recommend for our today quilts due to the strength issues. I just took an appliq class and the teacher recomm.silk thread due to it being so easy and thin to manage...I stuck w/my regulars:)(Just in case-for it made sense to me-no offense to those that prefer it) I love to match them too. Really makes hiding all so great! Skeat

Also...I love 'thread heaven'....keeps the thread from tangling up...and, if you are like me, you might snip off too long of thread at a time:)Which I think is recomm.not to go over 16" in length.

I use Mettler Silk Finish or Aurifil and try to match the fabric. A long time ago I heard that your should match your thread type to your fabric ie. cotton to cotton, silk to silk so I've never tried the silk.

I love applique and I love using Mettlers 60/2 cotton thread (it is finer,thus less noticable) than the 50/3. The problem I've had is if you are doing something with many colors, it can get expensive to buy a spool for only a few flowers or something. BUT I discovered recently, at the Piece O' Cake site, they sell packs of bobbins of 12 different colors, 3 different packs for $9. It is Superior brand Masterpiece thread size 60/2. I can't wait to purchase them. They call them "Frostings"

Good information here. Thanks everybody :mrgreen:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast