Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question About Hand Piecing >

Question About Hand Piecing

Question About Hand Piecing

Old 07-03-2014, 09:38 PM

Default Question About Hand Piecing

Do you use a running stitch or a back stitch? I decided to do my Farmer's Wife sampler as a hand piecing project and don't know which is more secure. I did a couple of test blocks before actually starting and I'm finding it harder to get my 1/4 inch seam and match the seams than when I stitch by machine. Hoping it will get easier with practice.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:19 PM

I used the running stitch, I think it is your preference and practice always helps! Happy 4th
Old 07-03-2014, 10:27 PM

I have always done a running stitch when I hand piece, they were a GFG and a patchwork top. And to keep my seams at 1/4 inch I drew a line with a pencil before I sewed - only on one piece after a while but in the beginning I did both pieces so I could make sure I was catching both sides in the right area. Matching I did with pins and then making sure my needle went thru where the pin was. It does take a bit of practice - but it became much easier with time.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:29 PM

I do a few stitches running stitch and then do a back stitch. Similar to this http://www.roserushbrooke.com/how-to-hand-piece-1.html You do get quicker and it does get easier.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:03 AM
Power Poster

I stitch will a running stitch with a back stitch about every 4-5 stitches. When hand piecing prep work leads to precision... Use a fine point pencil to draw your 1/4th inch seam lines and use pins. Jinny Beyer is a designer who hand pieces Fabulous quilts! Visit her website for hints, tips and tutorials.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I stitch will a running stitch with a back stitch about every 4-5 stitches. When hand piecing prep work leads to precision... Use a fine point pencil to draw your 1/4th inch seam lines and use pins. Jinny Beyer is a designer who hand pieces Fabulous quilts! Visit her website for hints, tips and tutorials.
This summarizes it nicely.

I draw the stitching lines on everything - probably not necessary - but my blocks end up the way I want them to by doing this.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:49 AM

I have always done a back stitch - i guess because i learned making clothes for my daughter and wanted to be sure of solid seams......can you tell me how many stitches per inch approximately do you ladies do with your running stitch?? I have seen Jinny Beyer do this with her beautiful quilts - so i KNOW a running stitch works.... i have just been afraid to change.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:15 PM

Any suggestions for a pattern for my first hand piecing project? I have an underground railroad sampler cut out and ready to sew, but wasn't sure if I should try something else first.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Carol in Colorado View Post
Any suggestions for a pattern for my first hand piecing project? I have an underground railroad sampler cut out and ready to sew, but wasn't sure if I should try something else first.
The Farmer's Wife sampler is my first hand piecing project. I'm starting with the easier blocks. I don't plan to do all of them but will decide which ones to include as I go along. I recently bought Tula Pink's book and thought it might be a good hand project. However I don't have any plans for that one yet.

Last edited by quiltsRfun; 07-05-2014 at 08:55 PM.