Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about hand stitching with a hoop? >

Question about hand stitching with a hoop?

Question about hand stitching with a hoop?

Old 02-03-2012, 05:10 AM

If this is your first time quilting with a hoop, I would use what you have on hand. The big BUT is if you have to buy a hoop because you have none and your budget allows, I would buy the best quilt hoop that you find. Take one for a test drive at your lqs. The one I chose has a base that sits in my lap on a stand and rotates on a ball hinge. Used it for years, and now have a floor frame one, but still love the lap holder one the best. Mine came from gruber's market genola MN, but I don't think they are in business. I bought mine years ago from Keepsake quilting in Center Harbor NH. Here are a couple of pics
Attached Thumbnails 002.jpg   001.jpg  

Last edited by nhweaver; 02-03-2012 at 05:18 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
You can probably use an embroidery hoop with a low loft batting but it will be a battle getting the outer ring on going over 2 layers of fabric and batting. The spring loaded ones aren't meant to go over that much thickness and it will be difficult for you to get the tension correct for quilting.
The first "quilt" I made, I tried to hand quilt with a 6 inch spring loaded embroidery hoop. I didn't think the heavy poly batting would be thick enough, so I doubled it. I could just barely get the quilt in the hoop, but it was a struggle. As I sat there stab stitching away, my mom told me that the quilting stitch was worked from the top. I thought she was nuts, but it's little wonder that the project became my first UFO.

That aside, on my next quilt, 15 years later, I bought a $4 quilting hoop. It worked much better and helped me become addicted to hand quilting. I still have it, it's still useable, but if I used a hoop more often (I use a floor frame now), I would buy a quality hoop.

Janet
Old 02-03-2012, 05:30 PM

I agree with nhweaver. If you are going to be buying a hoop, get one with a stand, if you can. Dh bought me a Hinterberg for my birthday one year, and it's awesome. My two hands have enough to do with the quilting without having to hold the hoop at the same time. I had a hard time using a hoop without the base. The hoop was a bit pricey, but a great gift. (Whisper in someone's ear---Santa's?)
Old 02-03-2012, 06:41 PM

It's me again. I took a hand quilting class last year about this time in VA. The lady taught without a hoop. You used the table or a board for support. I was raised seeing the aunts use quilting frames on the floor or hanging from the ceiling. So this really threw me. I am still not sure if I like it. But it is all I know for the actual hand quilting. So I too have been looking at the hoops. I love the look of nhweavers. My dad's sister is almost 90 and nearly blind and she told me a few weeks ago that she still loves her lap frame that has a stand if she wants to use it. Thanks for listening. Teresa