Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: question about home decor fabric

can it be used to make a quilt?

I'd say why not? If you are worried about the weight: There are alot of denim quilt patterns out there. However, many of the home decorator fabrics are labeled 'dry clean only'. I used a deep pink in a purse but when it got wet, the color ran. I'd suggest either pre-washing, then iron well or be sure and label it so the recipient knows how to clean it. On the other hand, I made some bags for my daughter for her wedding attendants and she said: Mom, they are not going to wash them. :-D

I was also wondering about this.is it a looser weave?

Blog Entries
    Yes...I have done that several times. I also throw them in the washer and dyer. No issues.

I haven't tried that yet. I have a BUNCH of it that I could use and never thought of trying to put it in quilts. I will keep coming back to check on this. :)

Quote Originally Posted by hperttula123
    I haven't tried that yet. I have a BUNCH of it that I could use and never thought of trying to put it in quilts. I will keep coming back to check on this. :)
    I have a bunch also and was about to de-stash it.

Blog Entries
    I also used some of the fabric for a border for my daught inlaws lapquilt...perfect...the heavier fabric works well for the border...I did prewash and also she has washed it several times with no issues,

the green ferns is furniture fabric
    Name:  Attachment-278649.jpe
Views: 81
Size:  102.3 KB

I have made several quilts from sample books of decorator fabric. They turn out great and can be washed. Those labeled 100 percent cotton, dry clean only just aren't coated with spot resestant chemicals after washing. I have used several not all cotton in bags and they wash well also.

thanks for all the quick answers and pic.I won't be afraid to use some now.

I used decorator fabric to make a quilt (per DD request) and it turned out to be a very pretty quilt. The only problem I had is with fraying edges. The looser weave caused me threads everywhere, all the time. But once it was sandwiched and quilted, it was ok. The fabric just screamed at me to use gold cording instead of binding and I am so glad I did. It gave it that finished look of a very expensive "store bought" quilt. I think the decorator fabric gives you different options that regular cottons don't. So please don't shy away from them.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast