Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question? About how much to charge for quilt?

Question? About how much to charge for quilt?

Could someone help me out with this please? Someone has asked me to made a quilt for them. They wanted red, white and blue. I had this top done for quite a while that I just never got around to finishing.

Someone is interested in buying it but I do not know what to charge. It measures approx 48" X 53". It is machine pieced and will be hand quilted.

The pattern is from quiltville.com.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Kyia
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I love to do binding.

That's a very pretty quilt top you made! I think I would base my price on what other quilts that size and difficulty, which are handquilted, are selling for. Of course, it also depends on the difficulty and density of the handquilting you do on it. The Amish quilts are all handquilted, and mostly treadle-machine pieced, so that may be a good place to start, I'd think. Maybe Google "Amish quilts for sale"? You could also check on eBay, but sometimes prices on eBay are all over the place on quilts and quilt tops, from what I've seen. Good luck to you with your sale!

Banned
    I charge $15/square foot

There are so many variables! If you were quilting as a business, you would have to base your decision on making a profit on materials and getting a decent hourly wage for your time. On the other hand, if you're going to finish the top anyway, but have no use for it, and the money would come in handy, then charge whatever you would be happy to receive. Don't be surprised if the person interested in the quilt knows nothing about the cost of fabric, or the number of hours required to make a quilt (especially with hand quilting).

Blog Entries
    Love your quilt!! Sorry I don't have any input as to pricing!!

Thank you everyone for the help. I am going to charge $200.00 and she is satisfied with that.

Kyia
    I love to do binding.

Pricing is a big questions for all of us. Sometimes I get almost nothing and other times a great deal. My large commissioned Memory Quilt (9 feet) I charged $20 an hour for 84 hours of work. It is on both web sites www.ladyelisabeth.weebly.com and www.oregonquilting.weebly.com
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Especially because you are hand quilting it, yeah you should charge the 200.00
    will quilt 4EVER